Author Topic: Inventory Screen map problem  (Read 2683 times)

jweldon

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inventory Screen map problem
« on: 2006-06-06, 09:36:27 PM »
I have a game I'm creating, it is a Zelda type RPG.  I'm trying to think through the process of how to cycle through the weapons, magic, and items while only using 4 buttons.  I have read the topic that describes how to use 2 of the buttons as <> type where you can scroll back and forth between the different weapons.  That would only leave me 2 other buttons and I was wanying to be able to cycle through weapons, magic spells, and items all seperately.  That would require 9 buttons total (3 for each)
I know I can combine some key presses to have more choices, but I started to look at an inventory screen as another option.  My game takes place on a huge map (1680x1240 tiles).  If I use one of my buttons to go to another map to choose weapon, magic, or item when I return to old map, won't I only have 5 times to do this because of the 5x limit?  Is there something that I might not be seeing correctly?  I think that this would work for me like this:
Button 1: Use Weapon
Button 2: Use Magic
Button 3: Use Item
Button 4: Goto inventory screen (to change weapons, magic, and items)
I would not have to remember the old map (inventory screen) but I would have to remember old map (large world), right?

Another option I have considered would be to try and learn some scripting, and add more button presses to my options, I have read a little about scripting, but it still confusses me greatly!

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to offer them up!

Thanks for the help.

John

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Inventory Screen map problem
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-07, 06:02:53 AM »
How did you know about the 5x limit on switching to another map?  Did someone actually *gasp* read the documentation!? ;)  (kidding of course -- I'm sure many have referred to the documentation)

But yes, I think you did misread that 5x limit.  That limit just means you can't go more than 5 deep into other maps.  So, for example, if your inventory screen allowed you to jump to another setting screen, and you wanted to be able to return to the inventory screen from the setting screen.  And your setting screen similarly took you 3 more levels deep to other maps, then you might run into a problem.  But if you always return properly to the old map from the inventory screen, then you shouldn't have any problem.  You will only ever get 1 level deep... unless you have maps in the main game that jump to each other with the "remember old map" option set.  You just have to make sure that you don't have more than 5 maps remembered at any one time.  Make sure that when you return to a map that was remembered, you use the "Return to old Map" option.  I don't think you'll have a problem.

Another possibility is to use the buttons like this (if the keyboard lets you use this many keys at once):
Button1 + Up + Left = switch to previous weapon
Button1 + Up + Right = switch to next weapon
Button1 + Left (and nothing else) = switch to previous magic
Button1 + Right (and nothing else) = switch to next magic
Button1 + Down + Left = switch to previous item
Button1 + Down + Right = switch to next item

Then you still have 3 unused buttons.

jweldon

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inventory Screen map problem
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-10, 08:20:59 AM »
Hey, thanks for the help!  I don't know why I didn't see that, I have basic inventory screen that has been tested snd realy works.  SGDK is sweet!
John