Author Topic: any other game developers besides this?  (Read 3278 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
any other game developers besides this?
« on: 2008-01-11, 03:43:40 PM »
is there anyone here whose tried a game developer before finding this one? i have two of them

first is Dev-C++. originally i wanted to be a C Programmer for software. its pretty good because compling is just one click (or push of the keyboard, my mouse wasnt working very well :() away. this is what i used to make A Game Of Words (see other posts in off topic). what i didn't like about this is the company making the software is very slow at updating (the latest version i have is 4.9.9.2, its been like that for a few years now) and EVERYTHING is manual (you can use templates, but they are confusing enough) eventually i quit it! scale of 1 to 10, 6

Next i found RAD. i dont know what it stands for. but basically its a 100% free (sounds good...) 3d game designer. what good is that you can create first person or third person games with it. that's the only thing that's good about it. many problems are the maximum resolution is 300x240 (which look like squares on a large monitor) the graphics MUST come from their library (and there's a BUGGY library editor for MSDOS) and the interface is so confusing, you cannot find anything, or even READ anything, unless you know french. in sum, on a scale of 1 to 10, ZERO!  :P :snore: :tired: :ugly: :vomit: :whatever: :no: :blindfold:

Finally, i found SGDK. on google i typed in "scrolling game maker" and the first thing that came up was SGDK. i saw read it. saw some screen shots, thought it was good. downloaded it. failed the first time, but i went back and got the vb6 files. then i tried it and it worked! i used the quick tutorial and my first game was done in munutes!  :o (you should consider updating this smiley) i played the example games that came with it and the style just amused me! it was easy to understand, user friendly, and FREE!!! on a scale of 1 to 10, 9.5!!! (compared to sgdk2, which has better things too)  :) ;D 8) :educated: :gum: :laugh: :nerd: :yes:
Looking to the skies.....

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CaseyAAdams
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: any other game developers besides this?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-11, 03:59:27 PM »
I have tried FPS Creator. I am not much into the coding and it looked very user friendly in that aspect. I was quite excited when I first got it and loaded it up, but once I ran my first game...well all the enemies were as dumb as a rock. I am sure the AI has probably been beefed up since then, and you can code the stuff yourself, but I don't know code so I just have let it sit since then. I think it might be a free download as long as you have a program to compile it. but I dont have any programs...and I am on dialup. So I just decided to purchase it. I think I will go check out if it has gotten any updates since then.
www.fpscreator.com

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-11, 05:30:40 PM »
last semester i made (or made the attempt) a game with virtools. that is not quite what you meant, but you can make games with it. one license of it costs about 40.000 euros, i think. (of course the license belonged to the university).
at first i didn't like it very much. i guess all programmers hate it. you can code script if you want, but the main thing how to do something, is to connect boxes. the boxes are functions and methods, similar to "moveByVelocity" for example, but also tiny things like operators, which do a simple mathematical operation. to create a complex function, you have to connect many of these boxes. but it is a very good thing for designers, because it is so visual. on the other hand you lose overview very fast.
after a while i liked it very much, it is like scripting, you sit there and try this and work on that, and sometimes it works and then it's great. but i did the graphics first, that's why i had no time for the script at the end. you can only walk and run through the level, there is a storm in the background with thunder and lightnings. one can click on three things, and they will open and close. that's all. no inventory, no actions. too much graphics and animations.
but i talk and talk....  :canadian:

for this semester, i sought for an IDE and looked at probably 6 different. the most were not good for my purposes, or not good enough. i downloaded sgdk1, made the quicktut and i had my first game ever (finished)! i did that for two or three times more to show my friends how easy it was!  :laugh:
i decided to work with it, although it was not updated for two years (it was still the best). it took me ca. a month to discover version 2 was there. and now we all live happily ever after...

Richard Kain

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-14, 11:55:36 AM »
I started off trying to learn C++. But no matter how deep I got into it, I didn't like it. It gives you immense control, but all that control is actually a bit too overwhelming for more casual coders. More importantly, C++ is a pain in the neck to object-orient. The references and requirement of multiple files is a huge pain, and in no way improves program organization. Never liked C++.

More object-oriented languages like C# and Actionscript 3.0 are much more to my liking. They are object oriented by default, and dividing your project up into separate files is cake. If you are a beginner, go for a system that supports an object-oriented or scripting language. Much easier to wrap your head around, much easier to keep track of.

I understand the Blender game engine has been coming along quite nicely. It is built on the Crystal Space engine, and incorporates it in such a way that you can preview your game in the Blender environment. It even supports bullet collision testing, so its fairly easy to produce FPS with it.