Author Topic: FF7  (Read 6216 times)

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
FF7
« on: 2006-08-14, 09:06:51 AM »
Gamedev can create a combat mode like FF7?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2006-08-14, 09:36:54 AM »
I hope you mean "Like Final Fantasy In General" as in a turn-based, real-time combat system (Active Time Battle), and not as in 3D graphics.  It's not just Final Fantasy 7 that has that fighting system.  Ever since FF4 they've had ATB (through FF9).  Which, yes, I suppose GameDev could do something like that.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix_battle_systems)
« Last Edit: 2006-08-14, 09:42:32 AM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-08-15, 02:42:43 AM »
Yes I mean that ; another question: I want create a game that is not a game... a program to look AI evolution (like the old SimLife, not like Creatures). But i've some problem to define AI for non-player sprites... (sorry for my english).

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-08-15, 04:03:35 AM »
AI must eat, drink, make children, die. For now this is enough. But I don't want human player in my game... or just a player that can modify some parameter but can't control AI-sprite...

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2006-08-15, 05:44:17 AM »
Your player sprite could just be a mouse pointer.  There are example scripts to show you how to make a sprite act like a ouse pointer.

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-08-15, 06:58:47 AM »
mmm... others ways? The final (limit of) population in my simulation would be ~10000...

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #6 on: 2006-08-15, 11:09:27 AM »
In that case, my suggestion to you is: Use C#.  Seriously, since you're going off in a direction totally seperate from the idea behind GameDev, and large numbers of sprites will be necessary (~10000), I'd build it from scratch, rather than have a bulky engine that can do so much more supporting it that you aren't using.  And I'm sure you could vastly optimize your code to work specifically for this purpose such as a simple array of 10000 objects and an int for how many there currently are.  The objects would only have to store a few things as well, and wouldn't be needing to detect collisions all the time (vast speed increase).
Edward Dassmesser

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-08-16, 12:38:01 AM »
A little explication: first program: 1989, BASIC; last program: 1998... VBASIC... I've spent some time on C++ ("Hello World" and other simple things) and now... after 4 h on Gamedev I have my little player, my map and a Nazi-enemy-flag that follow me... After 4 h! Wonderfull!
I've lots of ideas, but I don't know very much programmation to do wath I want...
... so I'm sorry for my stupid questions...
...mmmh, after that I think that I will try to make a little RPG, just for personal test...
Question: Use Gamedev (with scripts, sure) can help to better know C++?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #8 on: 2006-08-16, 06:59:58 AM »
Not really.  Only in the sense that you will know how programming structure works (in a very broad sense).  Scripting is done in Visual Basic Script, an entirely different language structure than C++.  SGDK2 will have programming script in C#, much more similar to C++ (but worlds easier as well).
Edward Dassmesser

Kamiyadori

• Visitor
  • Dio cre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-08-16, 09:34:41 AM »
Wow... now your forum has a new Gamedev-dipendent... that is waiting for SGDK2 (I'm...hungry, said the giant-plant)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2006-08-16, 06:32:19 PM »
Wow, I wonder if even SGDK2 will be able to handle that many sprites.  ~10000 is a lot.  I don't dare try it.  The problem is in SGDK2, every possible sprite instance must be pre-set on the map.  So if you want 10000 sprites, you have to click 10000 times on the map to add them all.  (Then you could call a function like "ActivateNextSpriteInCateogry" or something to "add" a new one.)  Now I am gettinr nervous about how well SGDK2 could handle some of the demands that will be made of it.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #11 on: 2006-08-16, 07:11:32 PM »
You mean you can't define them at run-time at all?  Even in script?
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2006-08-17, 04:52:01 PM »
Right.  You can create instances of sprites, but the collections that hold the sprites for a layer are read-only and not designed to change.  You just activate or de-activate specific instances.  That makes it possible for each instance to have its own variable name and thus access it instantly without having to search the collection.  I suppose you could re-create the collection with additional elements, but SGDK2 is really designed around fixed pre-set collections of objects so that everything has its own name and runs as fast as possible.  Being able to rely on the fact that every sprite instance will have its own variable name makes designing a game simpler, I think.