Author Topic: Platformania  (Read 24994 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Platformania
« Reply #15 on: 2006-08-25, 04:12:09 AM »
with the black space i'm getting rid of it at the end. The music files are MP3. I thought WMA took about the same amount of space as MP3. (whats OGG) and i thought gamedev only takes BMP files so tilesets are all BMP. I've been working on the game for about 2 months.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #16 on: 2006-08-25, 02:02:07 PM »
GameDev supports all of the image formats that VB6 supports by default, including BMP, GIF, and JPG.

WMA files, if compressed properly, can be much smaller than MP3 files and still sound better too, because it uses a smart compression algorithm to get rid of the stuff we don't hear, rather than getting rid of a little bit of data everywhere indiscrimately.

OGG Vorbis files are an alternative to MP3, except better.  I don't really know what else to say about them... it's an entirely open-source, free audio codec that doesn't behave stupidly like MP3 does some times, and gets better compression too.  It's much more ideal for video games, since they are quick to load and don't take up much memory to play.  The only downside is that it's not a codec that's distributed with windows or with GameDev 1.x, so you'd have to distribute that along with your game.  Many newer games use OGG files as audio, including Doom 3 (first on that came to mind), which comes with its own system for playing OGG files.

Here's a place to download the codec: http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/oggcodecs_0.71.0946.exe
Here's the official OGG Vorbis website: http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/

Xiph (makers of OGG Vorbis) also made an open-source video codec, Theora, which is freely distributed at http://www.theora.org/.  This is another good codec, similar in quality to Vorbis, but for video instead of audio.

I'd personally recommend using BIK files for video (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm) and Miles Audio for audio (http://www.radgametools.com/mssdown.htm), but those aren't supported by GameDev1.x at all, or any other game development kits that I know of.  These are tools, formats, and APIs designed specifically for gaming multimedia that are used on professional games for Windows, Linux, Mac, XBox, XBox 360, GameCube, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS2, and PS3.
« Last Edit: 2006-08-25, 02:10:13 PM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2006-08-25, 06:23:07 PM »
Windows Media Audio is WMA right?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2006-08-25, 06:31:07 PM »
Theres something wrong with the player sprite on my new map.  :-[ Whenever facing right the screen shakes.  :-[ But none of the others do.  :) I have no sound on this map yet. Only one layer so there's no background yet. It only happens when facing right or anything less than 20* off right.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2006-08-25, 06:55:14 PM »
Theres something wrong with the player sprite on my new map.  :-[ Whenever facing right the screen shakes.  :-[ But none of the others do.  :) I have no sound on this map yet. Only one layer so there's no background yet. It only happens when facing right or anything less than 20* off right.

I just encountered a bug i have no idea how to reproduce it.My game had all the tilesets mixed up. Say your player was a person you would end up a ground tile or something. I fixed it by using a XML backup i made earlier and overwriting every file i had used in my game and it all went back to normal. Except the map where the screen shakes I just had to delete it because my backup didn't have that map in it.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2006-08-26, 07:34:35 AM »

That might happen if your facing right sprite is too large for the size of the map display area according to the scroll margins you've specified.  Check:
1) The size of the sprite
2) The width of the map display area
3) The horizontal scroll margin

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2006-08-27, 04:13:20 AM »
Yep that was it but i dont know why it only happened when facing right you see its the same size as facing left

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2006-08-27, 12:02:52 PM »
Maybe it wasn't facing right that was the problem but moving to the right into the area where the map would have started scrolling.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2006-08-28, 01:19:59 AM »
I don't think so because i was playing around with it and traveled left plenty of times testing stuff to see if i could fix it

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2006-09-01, 03:50:06 PM »
So far the new map is pretty good. You're in a plane and you can shoot down other planes with guided missiles or bombs that you drop out the bottom of your plane. The bombs can destroy multiple enemies in one hit but are much harder to aim. I'm going to make it so they shoot back but haven't got around to it. I'm also going to make enemies that travel by ground and water.  ;D

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2006-09-07, 12:48:10 AM »
I'm not going to make the enemies shoot back. I decided it was too much work.  :-[  I have made other sprites shoot back in other levels where the enemies were in the same spot every time. In this level there's only a small amount of enemies, when you kill one a new one appears about 5000 pixels ahead. They don't appear in the same spot everytime so i'd have to make a lot of sprites to get them to shoot back regularly.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2006-09-07, 12:51:41 AM »
The planes are basicly obstacles if you hit them you will fall until you hit the ground and explode. The enemy ATV's go over ramps and hit you while their airborne. If you hit these you will fall until you hit the ground and explode. You can hit the boats but it's extremely unlikely. You can crash into the ground without hitting enemies and you can sink in the water

bat

• Fanatic
  • Cheak out the B*t project
    • MSN Messenger - ethanbatmay@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ethanbatmay
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2006-09-07, 07:02:49 PM »
30mb?!!! thats a lot... right click the files and see witch ones hogging the most space... btw... wuts this about this word "grammmer"?  ;D    does "thats" bug you? or "btw" ?
~bat

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2006-09-08, 06:11:52 AM »
It's the music files hogging all the space. I'm going to try OGG.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2006-09-08, 06:13:13 AM »
And now it's 35MB