Author Topic: Call for SGDK2 Artwork and Templates  (Read 19112 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Call for SGDK2 Artwork and Templates
« Reply #15 on: 2006-11-19, 08:47:19 AM »
I did find that the cause of the error in changing the sprite width to 16 was realted to the mask.  It occurrs on a sprite without a mask (alpha = 0) when the width is not a multiple of 32.  I fixed it.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #16 on: 2006-11-19, 03:41:55 PM »
Unless you wanted to change the sprite separately from its regular animation.  If, for example, you wanted your sprite to pulse red, whether or not it was moving, you would want to be able to change the color values of the sprite no matter how it was being animated so that when it changed states the pulsing red wouldn't be choppy due to the pulse be dependent upon what frame of it's walking animation it's currently displaying.

Just a thought.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2006-11-20, 06:46:05 AM »
Ooh, now that I think about it, there isn't a good way to animate a sprite along two timelines -- for example, I can't think of a way to both animate the sprite's walking and animate its flashing (without this modification).  I thought people had done that in GameDev 1.x... how'd they do that!? :)  (Was it scripted?)

I guess I should include a color channel adjustment override on the sprite itself for this if nothing else.  But I wonder if that's enough (or if I'm missing some other animation feature).

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #18 on: 2006-11-20, 10:07:39 AM »
Well, if you want the sprite to throb noticeably larger and smaller, you'd have to include a transformation matrix override too... but I don't see that as being quite so necessary :)
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2006-12-21, 10:28:53 PM »
What format does SGDK2 use for Graphics? Does BMP work in SGDK2?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #20 on: 2006-12-22, 10:03:59 PM »
All graphics in SGDK2 are stored within the project, rather than as external files.  So if you have ready-made images, you have to import them in one of the file formats that can be read.  BMP would be the most obvious format for readability, after PNG.
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2006-12-28, 06:50:53 PM »
Has anyone heard of MP4?  ??? I just discovered it today. The file size is less than half of MP3 and the quality is not noticably lower!  ;D  But does SGDK or SGDK2 support MP4?  ???

EDIT : I just tried it in SGDK and it works. Will SGDK2 support MP4?
« Last Edit: 2006-12-28, 06:55:54 PM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2006-12-29, 06:38:37 AM »
SGDK2 does not yet have built-in support for video, but if you just use the audio layer of MP4 (sometimes referred to as M4A) there may be ways to play it.  I'm not sure if FMOD supports MP4.  The SGDK2 IDE only uses FMOD to preview sound files right now, but really you can use any library you want to play sounds and video at runtime if you have the code to access the library in C#.  Just paste the code into your project and write a few lines to link it up to SGDK2's interface and you can use it (that's how FMOD works with SGDK2 at runtime, I've just made that one a bit easier by providing the sound library in that format so it's really easy to import sounds that use FMOD as a player).  It looks like the preferred digital audio solution of FMOD is OGG (I don't even know if it supports MP3), but that doesn't limit the kinds of sounds/video that SGDK2 will support, just the kind that you can preview in the IDE.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2007-02-09, 09:37:50 PM »
Before I do all the boring stuff, (putting in a tileset) Do you think these would be included as SGDK2 sprite template things. (they're gifs so you can see how they look when running)
http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/40qx2.gif
http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/382qd.gif
http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/26bwd.gif
http://www.pivothost.org/upload/v2/Jam0864/1l9f1.gif
They're made in pivot that's why they aren't very colourful characters. I have made four characters so people can have 4 different looking players in multi-player.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2007-02-10, 07:34:45 AM »
If you plan to do some more work to show what the character looks like when standing still and maybe jumping and climbing (and of course remove the ground), it might be useful.  You'd also have to convert the anti-aliased (gray) pixels to alpha-blended pixels if possible so it looks good on backgrounds other than white.  Can pivot help with that in any way -- output to PNG instead of GIF?  Let me put it this way: the SGDK2 template should demonstrate that it can be used in a respectable-looking game, and then be exported from that.  Then you know it's complete and ready-to-use (unless you had to kludge some of the rules to get it to work right).  But if you think you're close to getting it looking good and working well, I can help out with the rules.  Of course if I have a lot of submissions, you might have to compete for "slots" in the library, but right now I don't have many people submitting library content, so whatever you've got is probably better than nothing.  Some color would be nice, but I can imagine a certain style of game where it might be interesting to have a monochrome character... maybe :).

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2007-02-10, 04:26:42 PM »
I only needed the ground so the feet always stop going down at the same point. It looks sloppy if I have to guess where the ground is. Also there is no anti-aliased pixels, just when I saved it I made it smaller than it started, so it had the same amount of pixels in a smaller space. Pivot can export as BMP, and then when i put it all in a tileset I'll save it as PNG. I already have standing still graphics and I plan on doing jumping and climbing a ladder. If I get around to it I might do some other things too. (Playing with a yoyo if you stand still too long etc) I also have some ground tiles and backgrounds already in tilesets that I tested in SGDK. Although they are fairly simple, they look really good when you get the parallax scrolling right. The monochrome style characters can look pretty good if they have well-animated movements. Not as good looking but usually have better movements because they're much easier to animate. Just take a look at N.( http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/downloads.html ) Although that is on a white background, they also look good with colour backgrounds.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2007-02-11, 09:21:43 AM »
1) You could generate the character at a large size, then replace the background pixels with transparent pixels, and reduce the image to get nicely anti-aliased graphics.
2) Maybe the characters could be generated in white and black so that they could be used on light and dark backgrounds.
3) Maybe keep a couple different sizes when generating the different sizes (resizing the original).  One version could be recuded to 1/2 and another could be reduced to 1/4.  The smaller one could be used on map screens or when the character moves to a background layer or something.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2007-02-11, 11:36:10 PM »
Good ideas Bluemonkmn! But with #2, isn't that done with that colour replacement matrix. (I think that's what it's called) I can see that in the example project player 2 is red, it uses that colour replacement matrix doesn't it? Or do you still have to save the graphics for red and normal versions?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2007-02-12, 06:59:09 AM »
I think what I have is not exactly a color replacement matrix.  I think a color replacement matrix is more sophisticated than what I have which is just color channel modulation.  It just scales the color channels down by a certain degree.  So if I want a sprite to appear red, I scale down the green and blue channels.  But if the sprite is already black, there's nothing that can be done.  That's a good thought, though.  If you generate the character in white, then it can be modulated to any color without having separate graphics for all the colors.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2007-02-12, 10:42:48 PM »
I thought black was full for every colour, or is it nothing for every colour?