Author Topic: Unfinished Features  (Read 6039 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Unfinished Features
« on: 2007-01-21, 09:26:26 AM »
Even though there were many known unfinished aspects of SGDK2, I thought it would be a good idea to allow people an early opportunity to use it and maybe report unknown problems, and get an early start on some of their SGDK2 projects (I intend to maintain compatibility between SGDK2 alpha and the final release).  So that's why I released the alpha version.  If anyone creates anything interesting with SGDK2 before the final release, we can consider including it in the SGDK2 library.  Also, if you see problems in the alpha, come here to see if they're intended to be fixed, and if not, report them in a new thread.  I will lock this thread (and append to it as necessary) so that it remains an easy-to-scan list of un-addressed issues with SGDK2.

The following is my "to do" list for SGDK2 before the beta/final release:
  • Add more templates to the library
  • Fix the last step of the layer wizard, which displays a garbled tileset name if you changed the tileset in the first step. (Functionality should not be affected by this problem.) Fixed in alpha 2
  • Check the behavior of importing custom code objects that depend on other code, both when overwriting the code it depends on and not overwriting the code it depends on.  I think one of these situations causes the imported code dependency to be lost and get imported as a root-level code object. (problem never existed)
  • Make it possible to jump to a specific sprite's position, and a specific plan coordinate in the map editor. Implemented in alpha 2
  • When playing the game, only process keystrokes when the game has focus.  Right now all keys affect the game even when it's minimized/inactive. Fixed in alpha 2
  • Add a recent file list to the file menu. Implemented in alpha 2.
  • Remember user's last active window size for each window and next time the window is displayed, use the same size/position. Implemented in alpha 2.
  • Allow the delete key to be used in more places to delete objects. Implemented in alpha 2.
  • See if there's a good way to play video clips in a game.
  • Consider finding a good way to keep user-generated data in the My Documents folder.  Right now, if you load Projects\SHFL.sgdk2 from the library and run it, it will create an SHFL folder under the Projects folder in the library, where all the code for SHFL will be generated.  This could be a problem in environments where users do not have write permissions to application folders.  An even larger problem may be the fact that SGDK2's temporary DLL generated for inspecting generated code is compiled in the directory where SGDK2IDE.exe resides.  This can't be resolved by something as simple as moving the project to a user directory.Alpha 5 allows you to load projects from the library\projects folder as a template, which will prompt for a save location before compiling.
  • Write documentation (help files).
« Last Edit: 2007-05-31, 05:19:04 PM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unfinished Features
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-21, 10:19:44 PM »
  • Try to allow sprites to "hit" the edge of the map like any other solid tile instead of being pushed back into the map with velocity. Work-around code provided in alpha 2, but not turned on by default due to performance concerns.
  • Make the exit menu item in the file menu of the compiled game work. Fixed in alpha 2.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-05, 06:57:58 PM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-02, 07:24:37 AM »
I noticed that if a platform runs the rider into a corner or slope that tries to take the rider uphill, it will cause the rider to "fall off" the platform, so I changed the ReactToSolid function to ignore hills when riding a platform.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-02-22, 06:39:10 PM »
  • Eliminate buttons from Frameset editor and replace the functionality with menu items and keyboard shortcuts. Implemented in alpha 2.
  • Add shortcuts to flip/rotate frames without loading them into the editor. Implemented in alpha 2.
  • Collapse properties and editor nodes into a single level with properties and edit commands.
  • Fix frame rate slider on animation preview in Windows XP style environment. Fixed in alpha 2.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-05, 06:56:30 PM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-21, 05:51:01 AM »
  • Try to add a switch to allow layers to wrap around vertically and/or horizontally. Virtual layer size implemented in alpha 3.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-27, 06:50:44 AM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-30, 06:37:55 AM »
  • Support dynamic sprite collections -- adding and removing sprites without defining them at design time. Implemented in alpha 4.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-31, 05:23:20 PM by bluemonkmn »