Author Topic: SGDK orientation  (Read 3899 times)

zbjester77

• Visitor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lvl+7+barbarian
    • View Profile
    • Email
SGDK orientation
« on: 2007-03-17, 10:49:25 AM »
Hey, a quick question...

I am an art student at VCU, for an assignment I am building an arcade that plays games made with SGDK. The plans that I have on the arcade cabinet require that I turn the TV/Monitor onto its side. I know how to Orientate windows that way (Ctrl+ ALT+ Left arrow), but when I open up SGDK it doesn

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: SGDK orientation
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-17, 11:45:40 AM »
Wow, that's a really interesting-sounding project.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about turning programs on their side, or why some might not respect the environment's setting.  I wonder if a different video card/driver would offer better features/support... perhaps maintaining the horizontal aspect ratio, but at least turning it sideways (taking up only part of the display area).  I can only assume that DirectX undercuts Windows settings, and therefore does not honor the rotation.  But the correct driver might be able to support it somehow (since drivers support DirectX).  I think my brother has a video card that lets you rotate the display to any angle, but I'm not sure.  Good luck.  I'll be interested to hear more on how your project turns out.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-17, 12:51:13 PM »
My old graphics card could do keystoning and everything.  My current one only allows rotating by 90 degree increments.  I tried it, and when roatated 90 degrees, it said it couldn't set the display mode when I tried playing the game.  So I tried it at 180 degrees, and it worked just fine.  The game showed up upsidedown.  Which is not, to say... helpful.  The problem was probably with the fact that the horizontal and vertical are reversed when rotated 90 or 270 degrees.  I don't know if the other card would have worked better or not, but I suspect that it would.

My current card is an ATI Radeon X800, my old one was a GeForce 4 somethingsomethingsomething.
Edward Dassmesser

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-17, 03:37:49 PM »
That is such a cool idea!  ;D  GL with it.  ;)

zbjester77

• Visitor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lvl+7+barbarian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-17, 09:25:12 PM »
hey guys thanks. the computer that im going to be running on the inside is the definition of POS. So insead of buying a new video card i think what im going to have to do is make my own cabinet plans. Thanks for all the help guys, my brain is fizziled trying to figure all this stuff out.

if all goes right, i should be done with everthing in two weeks. So ill post pictures up here or something. see what everyone thinks.

zane