Author Topic: Shooting On a different map.  (Read 3373 times)

zbjester77

• Visitor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lvl+7+barbarian
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shooting On a different map.
« on: 2007-04-01, 08:51:28 AM »
For my game, the first 3 levels are all side Scrolling (left/right) and the last  is an over head (8-way) level. In a test game i was making... There were only two maps. one that emulated the first three, and the second which stood for the last level of my project.

I used the scriping wizard to help me use buttons to shoot, but after i left the first map, and tried to shoot it crashed. I know thats becuase the sprite im telling the wizard to use is only on the first map. and isnt present on the second.

whast the esiest way to make all the maps use the same shooting sprite?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Shooting On a different map.
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-02, 12:08:45 PM »
I think it'd be easiest to just duplicate the sprite with the same name on all your other maps.  Unfortunately there's no automated way to do this, but it's relatively easy to load the sprite definition/template from your first map, then switch to a path for another map, type the template name, and hit the "Create" button there.  (This problem was eliminated in version 2 because I realized the folly of my ways and allowed sprite definitions/templates to be shared across maps.)

Strangely, actual users of the program probably know better than I do how to use the scripting wizard to create shots that can be used on multiple levels.  That's my guess of how it would be done, but I've never actually used the scripting wizard to make a multi-level shooting game myself.  Can anyone confirm that this will work?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Shooting On a different map.
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-02, 07:21:53 PM »
It will work as long as it has the exact same name for the sprite. I believe it is case-sensitive and the easiest way to do it is to copy and paste the sprites name, because the slightest stuff up there will make shooting not work on that map.