Author Topic: SGDK 2.1 Beta 1 Released  (Read 17743 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SGDK 2.1 Beta 1 Released
« Reply #15 on: 2008-12-20, 10:32:04 AM »
i have, but they still don't work on my computer. it works on my parent's computer though, but i rarely have time to use it because most of the time my siblings use it for their homework, for hours at a time (apparently their homework consists of facebook and a socializing network site called gaia)

btw. Intel 946GZ Express Chipset Family works with 2.1
Looking to the skies.....

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2009-01-02, 10:32:21 PM »
i'm about to try it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

I like the idea of the zip as well to be honest, I hate having to install everything it just ends up slowing your computer down.

EDIT:// Ok, Some things I have found so far.

suggestions:

If you have edited a graphic in the graphic sheets editor, but haven't stored it to a cell, there should be a message informing you of that when you try and exit the graphics editor.

when you have not selected a startup map and you get the error message when compiling, the project settings window should automatically open with the startup map drop down box selected. (just out of convenience)

keyboard shortcuts for copy selected rule and copy selected rule including children would be nice. (perhaps ctrl+c and ctrl+shift+c when the sprite rules window is up front?)

allow use of the delete key to delete things in the project tree

allow click and drag in the rule editor instead of forcing people to use the arrows.

you should be able to select multiple rules at once in the rule editor, for copy pasting reasons and also to move more than one rule at a time.

Bugs:

there is a little window border around the SGDK2 Splash Screen in Windows Vista. I'll make a screenshot if you don't know what I mean.

« Last Edit: 2009-01-02, 11:33:31 PM by Jam0864 »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2009-01-03, 12:21:52 AM »
for some reason whenever I try and make a rule If > IsKeyPressed with the not checkbox ticked, it changes the function name to !IsKeyPressed and then obviously it cannot find that function so it says "The specified function name could not be located or the project failed to compile." in the text area below. It works perfectly fine is the not box is unticked.

EDIT:// it appears although the above happens, the project still compiles and runs fine. 0.o
« Last Edit: 2009-01-03, 12:48:49 AM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2009-01-03, 08:41:19 AM »
for some reason whenever I try and make a rule If > IsKeyPressed with the not checkbox ticked, it changes the function name to !IsKeyPressed and then obviously it cannot find that function so it says "The specified function name could not be located or the project failed to compile." in the text area below. It works perfectly fine is the not box is unticked.

EDIT:// it appears although the above happens, the project still compiles and runs fine. 0.o

That's the kind of worry I have about the beta -- I want to get all these kinds of bugs fixed at least.
I'm not at my development system so I can't say for sure what the cause is or fix it at the moment, but I can tell you that the "not" box causes SGDK2 to internally store a "!" at the beginning of the function name because there isn't a separate data field for "not" in the internal format of a rule.  Then when you load the function, it's supposed to parse that out.  I think I did something that affected that when I was trying to fix the plan rule editor to allow you to call sprite functions from plan rules.  Does this problem only happen in the plan rule editor and not the sprite rule editor?  I also made some other modifications to both rule editors, but I don't remember what effects that might have on the function name handling off the top of my head.  Thanks for reporting this.  Is the program still usable enough that you can continue to work on a project and possible find other problems?  I will upload a new beta as soon as possible.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2009-01-03, 08:05:41 PM »
I haven't actually tried the sprite rule editor yet as the project I'm working on doesn't have a need for sprites until later on. I'll try it in the sprite editor when I get on my own computer later today.

It's quite stable, even though this happens the project compiles and runs fine, it's just confusing when it happens to you the first time. XD

I plan to keep working on this project so anything else I find I will let you know about. ;)

EDIT:// If you make a sound object, it will only allow letters digits and spaces in the name. This is all fine and dandy, but putting a space into the name will screw up the whole project, every rule will say it can't be found or the project failed to compile, so you cannot make any more rules, and the project will not run/compile at all until you delete that particular sound object. (I had a feeling this would happen, that's why originally I was trying to put in underscores, but it wouldn't let me and said spaces were allowed, so I assumed spaces would be supported.) I tried opening the sound object to find the issue, I don't think it's because the name has a space, it seems to be because internally in the code for that object, when it references the name of the object, the spaces seem to screw it up. It seems to only detect the words before the space as the name, and then these extra characters after the space it doesn't know how to parse. (This was evident because it highlighted the parts before and after the space different colours)

EDIT2:// oh right I was supposed to check the sprite editor. Ok, it only happens in the plan editor, the sprite definition editor works fine.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2009-01-03, 11:59:33 PM »
Won't let me modify last post, so...

I have asked a few people to run my (Compiled) project to test, and it isn't having a very good success rate. Works fine for me and one mate, for two others it gets this error message, and for another person the app just closed and didn't give an error at all.

All three of the people it didn't work for are on Windows XP, I'm on Vista, and the other person who it worked for is also on XP.

EDIT:// it occured to me that the guy in the screenshot ran it from inside winrar, i instructed him to extract it first and he said it still gives the same error message.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-04, 12:03:50 AM by Jam0864 »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2009-01-04, 03:09:49 AM »
Posted on another forum, http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=68166

works fine for 4 of them, for another one it doesn't work.

Not working for me :/ Does the same error as you. I hear a guitar and then it gives the message.
Ran it on Windows XP SP2.

Edit: Hmm.. I somehow got it to work. I opened it again without pressing OK on the ftp://error.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2009-01-04, 04:34:06 AM »
this modify button keeps disappearing on me... is it session based?

One guy got this error.

Is that a hardware or software update required?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #23 on: 2009-01-04, 11:17:41 AM »
If you make a sound object, it will only allow letters digits and spaces in the name. This is all fine and dandy, but putting a space into the name will screw up the whole project, every rule will say it can't be found or the project failed to compile, so you cannot make any more rules, and the project will not run/compile at all until you delete that particular sound object. (I had a feeling this would happen, that's why originally I was trying to put in underscores, but it wouldn't let me and said spaces were allowed, so I assumed spaces would be supported.) I tried opening the sound object to find the issue, I don't think it's because the name has a space, it seems to be because internally in the code for that object, when it references the name of the object, the spaces seem to screw it up. It seems to only detect the words before the space as the name, and then these extra characters after the space it doesn't know how to parse. (This was evident because it highlighted the parts before and after the space different colours)

If you named the file "Sound a.cs" that should work fine.  But if you go into the file and change the name of the class to "Sound a" that's a problem.  The class name does not need to match the file name verbatim.  Class names have stricter rules than filenames.  That is, can't start with a number and can only contain letters, numbers, and underscores.
Edward Dassmesser

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2009-01-04, 03:57:12 PM »
this modify button keeps disappearing on me... is it session based?

when you log out or close your browser, the modify button disappears

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2009-01-07, 05:51:20 PM »

That's the kind of worry I have about the beta -- I want to get all these kinds of bugs fixed at least.
I'm not at my development system so I can't say for sure what the cause is or fix it at the moment, but I can tell you that the "not" box causes SGDK2 to internally store a "!" at the beginning of the function name because there isn't a separate data field for "not" in the internal format of a rule.  Then when you load the function, it's supposed to parse that out.  I think I did something that affected that when I was trying to fix the plan rule editor to allow you to call sprite functions from plan rules.  Does this problem only happen in the plan rule editor and not the sprite rule editor?  I also made some other modifications to both rule editors, but I don't remember what effects that might have on the function name handling off the top of my head.  Thanks for reporting this.  Is the program still usable enough that you can continue to work on a project and possible find other problems?  I will upload a new beta as soon as possible.

I released a fix for this problem with Beta 4, which is now available.

Won't let me modify last post, so...

I have asked a few people to run my (Compiled) project to test, and it isn't having a very good success rate. Works fine for me and one mate, for two others it gets this error message, and for another person the app just closed and didn't give an error at all.

All three of the people it didn't work for are on Windows XP, I'm on Vista, and the other person who it worked for is also on XP.

EDIT:// it occured to me that the guy in the screenshot ran it from inside winrar, i instructed him to extract it first and he said it still gives the same error message.

This appears to be an FMOD problem over which I have little control except to update the version of FMOD included with SGDK2.  You could try posting the error message on the FMOD forums to see if anyone there has a clue, or you could try updating the version of FMOD your SGDK2 project is using to see if that has any effect (you may have to update the DLL as well as the FMOD interface source code file in your project).  I'm not sure what kind of FMOD updates may have been released since I last picked up a version of FMOD for SGDK2.  Maybe, as the error messages suggests, the driver is bad... do these people have really bad/old sound cards?  What does other software "think" of their sound?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2009-01-07, 06:33:37 PM »
Well a few people didn't even know their hardware and wouldn't follow the steps I suggested to find out what hardware they had. :/

Another few did, and I found that it was more likely to happen if the soundcard was integrated into the motherboard.

I'm currently using a laptop with low quality integrated sound, it works fine.

I'll try updating the fmod version when i get back from holidays next Sunday.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2009-01-08, 06:00:17 AM »
Of course you could also pick any means you want of playing sounds in .NET and integrate that into your project.  But if you find something with FMOD that can be fixed, then it would benefit all of us. :)

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2009-01-08, 11:49:58 PM »
It works on my Windows 7 beta machine, but not on my XP laptop. Likely due to the errors mentioned above, i.e. integrated sound.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2009-01-09, 08:11:05 AM »
It works on my Windows 7 beta machine, but not on my XP laptop. Likely due to the errors mentioned above, i.e. integrated sound.

there's another windows? cool! :D

Edit by BlueMonkMN: The Windows 7 beta topic is continued at http://gamedev.enigmadream.com/index.php?topic=1320.0
« Last Edit: 2009-01-11, 08:50:39 AM by bluemonkmn »