Author Topic: Imanewguy  (Read 4137 times)

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CaseyAAdams
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
Imanewguy
« on: 2008-01-05, 08:51:28 PM »

Even though I just followed directions, I just finished up the tutorial and was very impressed with myself. I have downloaded everything I could fit through my dial-up connection and am ready to learn a lot. I am going to attempt to attach my tutorial game on the forum. (I write everything in Windows Notepad before I start up my phone line.) I am not much into the writing code stuff, so if I want to do something different it takes me a while to make some sense out of everything. I wanted to know if I was moving my player in the most efficient way. I didn't want my player to have a floating feel so instead of having my "Inertia" rule I set it to LimitVelocity and to '0'. At first he moved quite the slow, so I hiked up my Polar acceleration quite a bit. It is doing what I wanted to acomplish, so I am fine with it, but I am sure there is a better way. After all I am just trying to make water out of mud. I'm happy with muddy water. :)

Also, Could anyone tell me how to get "bad guys" running around in there? I am trying to get my player to shoot too. I have been looking at that cannon template. I am trying to take all this in at once and my brain refuses to sponge the info. I am sure if I keep going through the tutorial I will eventually understand the processes, but I am so eager to see all the options I have.

I downloaded the first version and I have to say that it looks much more user friendly for the non coding people set to venture these waters. I hope version 2 will get to that point.

Is there any advice on how to learn everything? I was hoping to be able to see the methods that go on version one to help me code it on version 2, but I couldn't figure out how to look at the rule.

My attachment was too big. Other options?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Re: Imanewguy
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-06, 01:38:51 AM »
you could upload it at box.net and link to it. (box.net allows up to 10MB a file)

I have never had a shot at shooting stuff in SGDK2 yet, so I cannot help you there, but I'm sure someone can, so you'll be right. :D

The first version, although easier to use, is not even close to as powerful. SGDK2 can do almost anything. 0.o

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-06, 07:15:06 AM »
I didn't want my player to have a floating feel so instead of having my "Inertia" rule I set it to LimitVelocity and to '0'.
Just use 0 Inertia instead of LimitVelocity.  Either set the sprite's inertia parameter to 0 or hard-code the inertia rule to use 0 instead of a sprite parameter.

Also, Could anyone tell me how to get "bad guys" running around in there?
Check the tutorial for importing sprites.  There are a few kinds of enemy sprites you can import, or you can create your own simple enemy sprite that just follows a path or something.

I am trying to get my player to shoot too. I have been looking at that cannon template.
I haven't played with this myself much yet (mostly been working on the kit, not on games), but you should be able to create a bullet sprite and activate it with AddSpriteHere.  Then maybe you can use SelectLastCreatedSprite and SetTargetParameter to set the "state" property of the bullet to match that of the player.  Then the rules of the bullet sprite can be responsible for making it go forward with PolarAccelerate.

I downloaded the first version and I have to say that it looks much more user friendly for the non coding people set to venture these waters. I hope version 2 will get to that point.
It might get better as more pre-packaged sprite templates become available.  Then you won't have to make rules yourself.  Notice that there was no built-in way to shoot in version 1 either until the scripting wizard became available.  Even then, it was kind of limited and required a script.  Version 2 has a better way of dealing with this, I think, and will be much more flexible.

Is there any advice on how to learn everything? I was hoping to be able to see the methods that go on version one to help me code it on version 2, but I couldn't figure out how to look at the rule.
Maybe instead of thinking of a feature and trying to implement it with the available rules, look at the available rules and practice using them to implement the features that they inspire.  Don't try to use version 1 to learn anything about version 2.  They have nothing in common except maybe a couple high-level ideas... but no code.

My attachment was too big. Other options?
If you need help specifically from me, you can upload your project to http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/support/ and I can look at it.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-06, 07:28:57 AM »
try this site: http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/ there you click on projects, then templates, then sprites and then download "Shooting, moving sprite". this is a sprite template for sprites which move around and shoot at the player when he is near. you can import the sprite file from everywhere into your game. don't worry when it doesn't work in an instant, there are some minor things you have to do before it works properly.

@ durnurd, blue monk: this is not so good for newbies. i remember i imported some sprite some time ago, which didn't work till i made many of adjustments, eg. putting some tile in a "ladder" category. i suggest every author of templates should add a txt with exact instructions what to do, and the templates already uploaded should be updated this way.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-06, 08:46:53 AM »
I made a note of it.  I think durnurd had a similar suggestion once.  Yes, templates should have some space for more detailed documentation.

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-06, 11:04:21 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I made myself a Box.net account. So here is my file-http://www.box.net/shared/ee91rc1k44
It is pretty much just like the tutorial except I figured out some of the tile categories and went with it. Could someone give me a visual on what the other tile shapes are? Uphill right, Uphill left, downhill left, downhill right, and topsolid.

Goowolgo

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-06, 01:43:35 PM »
Uphill right, Uphill left, downhill left, downhill right, and topsolid.

Never mind on the question and the tiles...moving right along in the tutorials.  ;)