Author Topic: SGDK2 Breakthrough  (Read 9747 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
SGDK2 Breakthrough
« on: 2008-04-01, 04:43:38 AM »
Take a look at the latest news on the SGDK2 Homepage
Edit:  I guess it's a day for groundbreaking new features... have you read about GMail's new feature?
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html :)
« Last Edit: 2008-04-01, 04:54:33 AM by bluemonkmn »

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
Re: SGDK2 Breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-01, 11:07:03 PM »
AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!! I'm about to download the demo!!!!
(So I guess this answers my 3D gamedev question!)
Now the SGDK2 will be competing with such 3D engines as 3DRAD and Ray Game Designer! 

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-02, 02:23:34 AM »
hehe, man, you totally got me!   :laugh:

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-02, 05:49:23 AM »
I had to spend 6 hours downloading .NET framework 2.0 on dial up!
                 (INSERT FORCED LAUGHTER HERE)
(Just one question though, could you really make such a game for us?)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-02, 06:05:29 AM »
I had to spend 6 hours downloading .NET framework 2.0 on dial up!

You didn't have .NET 2.0 already?  Well, you'll need it for SGDK 2.1 anyway.  It was worth your while.

(Just one question though, could you really make such a game for us?)               

No, I don't think anybody could... except possibly on a super-computer.  The technology just doesn't exist.  A similar game based on current 3D modeling technology might be possible, but real-time ray-tracing is not quite workable yet.  And without ray-tracing, I don't think you'd get quite the same look.

Edit: Did you try to run it without .NET 2.0?  What happened?
« Last Edit: 2008-04-02, 06:08:35 AM by bluemonkmn »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-02, 07:04:54 AM »
yeh raytracing is extremely slow... looks nice tho. ;)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-02, 07:09:09 AM »
id Tech 5 or 6 may be a Ray Tracing-based engine, according to John Carmack (inventor of all that is good).  We shall have to see.  A lot of debate recently has gone on about the future of graphics.  Will consoles disappear?  Originally they were invented because PCs didn't have the power or utility. Where will graphics chips end up? Some want to merge the CPU and GPU, while others want to separate them even more and include the physics simulation on the GPU, and some, like John Carmack, think the GPU needs to start doing ray tracing.
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-02, 10:22:14 AM »
Will consoles disappear?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edit: Did you try to run it without .NET 2.0?  What happened?

a simple error message occurs, telling that .net 2.0 is not installed.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-02, 06:58:04 PM »
im not rly into the consoles tbh. I like how a xbox 360 looks better than my laptop, no lag because games have been made for that specific hardware, and split screen is always good.
But many disadvantages too.

Here is my opinion, in dot points form. (the best form known to man xD)

• Consoles are fantastic for racing games, where the slightest bit of lag can make you go off the track, and also a controller with analog joysticks and a trigger for acceleration (imagine xbox controller) is way better than a keyboard
  • First person shooters are pathetic on xbox, the joystick controls are fiddley and hard to use. Keyboard+mouse is superior because a keyboard never runs out of buttons, is configurable to make the controls what you want, and a mouse is much more accurate than a joystick.
  • Split screen is awesome, easy to do, (just plug in an extra controller) and no fighting over space on the keyboard, also a tv is usually bigger than your monitor.
  • SOmeone will want to watch tv so you don't always have the opportunity to play it
  • internet gaming is possible, but a pain in the arse because most people don't like the idea of buying an oversized ethernet cable to connect to their modem running from one end of the house to the other. the only other alternative is a wireless adaptor, if they already have a router setup... and they probably don't want to pay for an overpriced wireless network adaptor. (you can get one for 20 bucks for a laptop but for an xbox 360 its around 150 dollars)
  • Computers you will have already, no reason to buy specific hardware to play these games
  • consoles games are overpriced, you have to keep buying controllers as well because they don't last even close to as long as a mouse and keyboard.
  • PC graphics are superior if you have the money
  • PC has greater processing power, this is why games like farcry (massive free roaming environments) don't work so well on consoles. (had to make a special version that consoles could handle, which ruined the free roaming stuff)
  • a lot of freeware games come out on the pc which you can play, which you won't be able to play on a console.
  • Consoles allow you to get comfortable on the couch. :)
  • oh and the biggest thing. If you don't always want to play games that are either a rpg, puzzle, fps, or a driving game, your outta luck with a console. Also most modern consoles refuse to have any 2d games whatsoever. they even made worms 3d, which completely ruined worms, which was the best 2d game ever created. Some games just aren't meant to be 3d! D:
meh i cant think of anymore, but you get the point.
« Last Edit: 2008-04-02, 07:03:40 PM by Jam0864 »

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #9 on: 2008-04-03, 07:57:14 AM »
Well, 2D games is not entirely true.  The PS3 has a couple of 2D games, one of which both BlueMonk and I got addicted to very quickly recently, called Pixel Junk Monsters.

But for the most part, yeah, no.
Edward Dassmesser