Author Topic: Seamless Tilesets Tutorial  (Read 4571 times)

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
Seamless Tilesets Tutorial
« on: 2008-04-19, 04:50:16 AM »
i wrote a tutorial (it is in english). please read it and give me feedback about understandability and mistakes in spelling etc.

http://mistraal.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/tileset-tutorial-english/

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Seamless Tilesets Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-19, 10:00:47 AM »
Your graphics overall are quite impressive. You should consider donating more graphics/tilesets/sprites templates to SGDK2, or maybe even doing the artwork for the program, as BlueMonk recently mentioned the incomplete about dialog.  I'll comment on your tutorial as soon as I'm done reading it.

--

Okay, done reading it.  There are some grammatical errors, and sometimes you sound a bit like Yoda, but everything was completely understandable, and the pictures were surprisingly easy to understand, considering the number of arrows and shaded bits.  I noticed you didn't include single or double internal corner pieces.  It could be a helpful addition later on, but   for now, it certainly is a good tutorial.
« Last Edit: 2008-04-19, 10:18:10 AM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-19, 12:17:03 PM »
thank you for reading it. funny that you mentioned Yoda. I think this comes from the grammar of the german language. we tend to put some words in the middle of a sentence which in english belong to the end of the sentence (just for example). this is why sometimes english speakers sound like Yoda if they try to speak german.  ;)

feel free to point out these phrases and correct it, that would help me to be not so yoda-ish in the future.  ;D

I noticed you didn't include single or double internal corner pieces.
you mean like a hole inside the rock? the tut is not intended to show all steps of making a tileset. in order to make additional tiles, the user shall plan by himself. i think i mentioned all what is necessary.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-19, 02:46:06 PM »
I'm referring to something shaped like:
__
| |_
|___|

Which could be used to make holes in the middle, yes.  Those pieces have to have the same borders as other pieces just like everything else, and it's sometimes hard to figure out which borders they have to match.
Edward Dassmesser