Author Topic: I can't play the sample games  (Read 7943 times)

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
I can't play the sample games
« on: 2008-12-02, 07:20:01 AM »
I got this error message when i tried to play the game: :'(

What could be the cause?  :'( :'( :'(

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: I can't play the sample games
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-02, 08:41:03 AM »
What version of SGDK2 do you have?  I'll assume it's 2.0 since you are running Tetris, which is DirectX based.

What are your video card specs?  How old is it?  What OS are you running?
Edward Dassmesser

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-02, 02:34:46 PM »
What version of SGDK2 do you have?  I'll assume it's 2.0 since you are running Tetris, which is DirectX based.

What are your video card specs?  How old is it?  What OS are you running?

Yes, I run sgdk 2.0...

It's windows xp sp1. Well, i don't know much about hardwares, but i know that this computer is old enough. What should i do to obtain information about installed video card in my pc? Could it be the problem?

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-02, 02:49:01 PM »
In Xp go to Start-> Programs-> Accessories -> System Tools -> Sytem information

This should give you basic info such as Ram available. In the Components breakdown under the display heading it should list the video card specs as well.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-02, 06:15:57 PM »
Two ideas:
1) Check that your system meets the requirements outlined in the requirements section of the SGDK2 homepage: http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/
2) Try un-installing 2.0 and using the new beta version 2.1 which is based on OpenGL instead of DirectX.  Let me know if you need help finding or using it.
(You won't be able to play the Tetris sample from 2.0, but you can create a new project based on the sample project and see if that works.)

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-03, 11:26:41 PM »
In Xp go to Start-> Programs-> Accessories -> System Tools -> Sytem information

This should give you basic info such as Ram available. In the Components breakdown under the display heading it should list the video card specs as well.

Did You meant this?

Oh well, does that mean that my video card is VIA/S3G CLE266? I don't find it on the supported video card lists...

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-04, 12:55:29 AM »
That is indeed it. If you notice, you have 32Mb of video Ram available on a via chipset. Typically the Via chipset is an onboard video adapter using an AGP bus that is internal to the southbridge. Via is a Chipset/motherboard vendor that makes quite a few chipsets as well as lower end proc's, etc.

The IDX family by intel will often show shared memory as well through the Windows abstraction layers, allowing you to run larger footprint apps as long as enough Ram is available. Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to run SGDK2 with that little video Ram.

What is you Mobo vendor? Do you have a PCI-E or AGP slot on the Mobo?

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-04, 03:57:54 AM »
That is indeed it. If you notice, you have 32Mb of video Ram available on a via chipset. Typically the Via chipset is an onboard video adapter using an AGP bus that is internal to the southbridge. Via is a Chipset/motherboard vendor that makes quite a few chipsets as well as lower end proc's, etc.

The IDX family by intel will often show shared memory as well through the Windows abstraction layers, allowing you to run larger footprint apps as long as enough Ram is available. Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to run SGDK2 with that little video Ram.

What is you Mobo vendor? Do you have a PCI-E or AGP slot on the Mobo?

Oh, there's no slot inside... ???
Does that mean that the v2.1 won't work too?
i've just downloaded it and tried it. There's no error message appears, but i have not tried any sample game yet, since the samples for v2.0 use directX

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2008-12-04, 06:12:17 AM »
2.1 might work; I'd be very interested to know whether or not it does because I need to get a list of cards that are supported by version 2.1.  The sample game for 2.1 is delivered with 2.1.  Just select "New" from the project menu and select "Sample Game" from the list of available project templates.  Then save the game and run it.

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-12-04, 08:20:20 AM »
2.1 might work; I'd be very interested to know whether or not it does because I need to get a list of cards that are supported by version 2.1.  The sample game for 2.1 is delivered with 2.1.  Just select "New" from the project menu and select "Sample Game" from the list of available project templates.  Then save the game and run it.

It asked me to update my driver. It looks better. The problem is, i don't know how to do that...I'm sorry, would You like to tell me how to update it? When i tried to update it from device manager, it asked for cd...Can i update it from internet?

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2008-12-04, 08:25:14 AM »
At a guess the PC in question is an ebox using an ASUS A7V8x mobo which means it should have an 8x AGP port. So a nvidia 6800 should drop right in, and only cost around $30 as well.

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-12-04, 08:33:01 AM »
At a guess the PC in question is an ebox using an ASUS A7V8x mobo which means it should have an 8x AGP port. So a nvidia 6800 should drop right in, and only cost around $30 as well.

Well, i don't know. My friend has opened my CPU and see that there's no slot for ataching it. That means if i want to use any video card, i have to replace my mobo with others :(
I will do it, but it will take time,  :)

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2008-12-04, 08:38:14 AM »
No little brown coloured slot at the very top of the available card slots? I may have been wrong about the motherboard vendor then.

Karisma

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-12-04, 08:45:15 AM »
No little brown coloured slot at the very top of the available card slots? I may have been wrong about the motherboard vendor then.
Unfortunately yes, there is not :no:...
It's ok, th computer is quite old this year...i think i need to update the driver and see if the program can work in my pc... :)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2008-12-04, 10:34:11 AM »
can u post a picture of your cpu?
Looking to the skies.....