Author Topic: Wondering what you think of this idea for a project  (Read 6009 times)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
Wondering what you think of this idea for a project
« on: 2009-01-01, 02:58:32 AM »
"Wondering what you think of this idea for a project"

I'm thinking of making a project where the player is a guitarist, and they can improvise and make their own songs.

map f1->f12 as notes, enter/return as picking, (so the player would have to hold one or more frets and pick at same time) recorded from the guitar using a mic, (obviously I'll have to make sure the notes recorded are from the same key or people will get some weird sounding stuff)
let the player muck around with those and have option to record what they play and save as mp3, (or similar non-propriety format) or in-game import-able 'demo' file, which simply saves the keypresses and renders the actual music using the computer the 'demo' is played on, to keep down filesize for those who have the game installed.

have seperate "modes" for different styles, a set of heavy grunge chord set, rock chord set, higher pitched guitar solo set, lighter octave based chords, acoustic chords etc.

I know I would find it a very entertaining game, but that may be because I'm quite musically orientated, was wondering what other people thought of the idea.

Some questions/queries/issues/concerns I would like cleared up.

- whats the typical limit for how many sound files can play at once before it gets a bit laggy? (I want to be able to play at least 3 notes at once)

- How extensive are the sound controls? (Could I edit pitch and speed played at runtime, so I don't have to record too much notes seperately?)

- uhh.. i had more but i forgot.

EDIT:// reading over the post i found the f1-12 and enter/return to pick controls confusing. the keyboard would be held like this, not my idea, was used for the game frets on fire, a guitar hero clone.

EDIT2:// i just realized, why record from a mic when i can plug my guitar directly into my laptop....? that will be better quality...

EDIT3:// but now that i think about it, it will have no effects applied... I will need a cord to run from my amplifier to my laptop... hmmm...
« Last Edit: 2009-01-01, 03:10:07 AM by Jam0864 »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Wondering what you think of this idea for a project
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-01, 10:10:45 AM »
I think FMOD can play dozens of notes at a time at least.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-01, 11:06:21 AM »
only one problem is that some keyboards cannot accept more than so many keys. you could press J K L and ; at the same time but only the first two or three keys you press will be recorded, depending on the order they are pressed. for garunteed results, i think up down left and right would work better for frets...maybe. i like the idea of how you can hold the keyboard.
Looking to the skies.....

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-01, 06:33:32 PM »
i think up down left and right would work better for frets...maybe
I need more frets than that. :/
you could press J K L and ; at the same time but only the first two or three keys you press will be recorded, depending on the order they are pressed
I don't think people will mind if they can't press any more than 3 keys at once, 3 keys is plenty I would say.

Alright cool, I will begin recording notes I guess. :D

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2009-01-02, 08:27:29 PM »
This sounds cool!

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2009-01-03, 02:06:27 AM »
thought i might as well post what i have so far, as it's pretty fun to muck around with... for a minute or so.

If you have SGDK2 installed: (1.19MB)
http://jam0864.110mb.com/files/guitarwip(source).zip

If you do not have SGDK2 installed: (2.94MB)
http://jam0864.110mb.com/files/guitarwip.zip

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2009-01-03, 06:49:57 PM »
I don't have SGDK2 in this computer. I plan to do it with my new one, after it gets cleaned up. :D

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2009-01-04, 04:04:47 PM »
if you can get it to work, you should add drums or even vocals, like on GH World Tour or RB2!!! :)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2009-01-19, 10:19:44 AM »
I don't think people will mind if they can't press any more than 3 keys at once, 3 keys is plenty I would say.

i hate those chords, especially in hard mode.