Author Topic: tutorial bugs and ideas  (Read 4256 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
tutorial bugs and ideas
« on: 2009-10-06, 12:28:46 AM »
I just went through the tutorial and i got an error right away saying that the coolfont was missing whenever running in debug mode. a way around this is to run the tutorial with debugging off (im assuming it is because the fps is shown at the top left whenever debug is on)

and I also think you should update the tutorial to include how to set the font for messages, since now it is tileset based rather text based. (even i am having trouble setting it up)
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: tutorial bugs and ideas
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-06, 05:32:37 AM »
Creating a project without importing the font graphic sheet really isn't very practical any more.  Drawing every character should probably not be part of the tutorial.  Maybe I should start from the Default project instead of from <Blank>.  What do you think?  Or walk the user through importing the CoolFont graphic sheet, frameset and tileset.

What's complicated about setting the font?  There's only one parameter on the SetMessageFont function, and it has a dropdown list of tilesets.  Is it unclear what format the tileset needs to be in?  I'm thinking everyone would/should just use the default graphic sheet as a starting point.  Where would this information go?  Same tutorial?  Help page for SetMessageFont?  Somewhere else?

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-06, 09:35:24 AM »
i think you should have a project that includes everything needed to start up a game, but is simple enough to edit. for example:

* one graphic sheet with one of each tile category (solid, hills, and top solid) and a basic sprite
* two framesets, one for the tiles and one for the sprite
* a tileset and defined categories
* one map and layer including the player sprite
* all necessary solidity definitions
* a sprite definition for the player sprite

this way, someone new can just tinker with the graphic sheets, or enlarge the map, add new layers, ect. to quickly create a new project rather than having to set everything up. this would be great for first timers.

on the message box issue, this is the message i always get no matter what i type in(see bottom)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-26, 10:58:54 PM »
hey i think i figured out why i had troubles with message boxes! i looked at the demo project and i just noticed that the tileset is arranged in ASCII. i just had it in the order that the graphic sheet is arranged. it works better now. (you probably should have clarified that somewhere)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-27, 05:41:10 PM »
i think you should have a project that includes everything needed to start up a game, but is simple enough to edit. for example:

I think that was my intention with the sample project. Is that not simple enough to edit?

Also, if you bring up the help page for the Message Editor, you will see a link to SetMessageFont.  There is a comment about the tileset/font layout:
Tileset whose tiles will be used to represent characters for messages. The tile numbers correspond to ASCII values of the characters used in the messages.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-13, 04:48:34 PM »
huh, I was wondering why there was a separate template for that.
I guess that's why.