Author Topic: Unofficial ClickOnce Release  (Read 3819 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Unofficial ClickOnce Release
« on: 2010-10-02, 06:04:10 PM »
As I am researching what needs to be updated and what can be updated with the new Visual C# 2010, Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4.0, I stumbled across the ClickOnce install feature.  If anyone is interested in a really simple Web Install of SGDK2, you can try the latest here:
http://sgdk2.enigmadream.com/clickonce/

It's an un-offical release with some updates for Windows 7 and other things.  But assuming all goes well, I will be able to publish 2.1.6 soon, and then you can simply go to the new "Download Updates" menu item in the Tools menu, and it will update automatically for you.  We'll see.  Let me know if you try it how it works, and tell me what browser and what OS you are using.

Everything I have looked at is running well under my Windows 7 system now.  There was a problem in the rule editors at first, but I fixed it.  So all should be working well on Windows 7 64-bit (and presumably 32-bit).

Maybe people will be more inclined to try the program if it's really easy to install like this.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Unofficial ClickOnce Release
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-03, 08:15:54 AM »
Well, I have a new folder in my start menu labeled "Benjamin Marty".  I don't suppose there's any way that could be changed to "SGDK2" or something?

For some reason, it didn't work when I clicked the "Install" button (it had to install the .net 4.0 framework, but then failed when downloading the sgdk2 files) but then when I clicked on the "Launch" link it worked fine.  Running from Firefox 3.6.10 on XP SP3.

However, whenever I try to run a project, it shows the error "error CS0006: Metadata file 'System.Design.dll' could not be found"
« Last Edit: 2010-10-03, 08:49:12 AM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-03, 03:10:44 PM »
That's strange.  I had the opposite problem using Chrome.  When I clicked the "Launch" link, I got an error, and the only way I could get it to work was to click "Install".  Then I tried in IE, and the Launch link didn't even appear there, only the "Install" button.

I don't know why installation packages insist on having a publisher name be part of the hierarchy.  Perhaps they are worried that two different publishers could unknowingly create a product by the same name.  But I don't know of an easy way to change that to "Scrolling Game Development Kit" without changing the publisher name to "Scrolling Game Development Kit".  I guess the express version doesn't include a full-fledged installation package feature to allow fine control over installation (or I don't know how to control it), and they think that people using the express version are going to have real publisher names?  Jeez.

Good thing this is an unofficial release.  Sounds like you had quite a mess.  I targeted ".NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile" which excludes some components like System.Design.  But SGDK2 does not reference System.Design, so I don't know why you would have had an error related to that.  Oh wait... for some reason, System.Design.dll was one of the implicitly added references to every project that SGDK2 compiles.  I wonder why.  It seems to work fine without it.  I guess I'll just remove that.

Now I'm not quite clear what you're saying about downloading the sgdk2 files.  Did it fail to download the template library component?  Did it prompt you to download the help file and template library when it first ran?  Did it download the Default Project template (which was a required component instead of part of the template library)?

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-03, 08:42:10 PM »
The in-app downloads (template library and help) after I ran the program both worked fine, to my knowledge.  I'm talking about after I click on the button to install it, it downloaded the installer, which installed the .NET 4.0 framework, then began downloading SGDK2 to install it, but that's what failed, saying a file it downloaded was corrupted.
Edward Dassmesser