Author Topic: The Crowdsourced Game  (Read 375537 times)

Vincent

• SGDK2 Addict
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Legacy of Kain: Revival is completed!!!
    • View Profile
    • Chivalrous Games
    • Email
Re: The Crowdsourced Game
« Reply #45 on: 2012-04-04, 07:15:12 AM »
Haha!  I would definitely buy one! :)  Btw, nice work with the "blockyer" silhouette.
Legacy of Kain: Revival completed!
http://lokrevival.webs.com

See also my company website:
http://chivalrousgames.com

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: 2012-04-04, 05:12:13 PM »
Appropriately, I used SGDK2's graphics editor to make it.  I did everything except draw the iota.  I copy and pasted the iota from Paint into SGDK2 because SGDK2 doesn't have a text tool.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: 2012-04-05, 06:51:41 PM »
Getting closer to a fully functional HTML5 version of the iotaBuildIt game.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: 2012-04-05, 07:44:39 PM »
ShowMessage! Yes!

This- this is amazing! I can't believe that I'm playing (Formerly) CleanGame in the browser.

I never had the chance to ask- have you seen a audio playback system that handles mod files yet?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: 2012-04-06, 05:23:47 AM »
ShowMessage! Yes!

Actually ShowMessage was working without any modifications. That one works in the HTML5 sample game. Were you able to play the tutorial level to the point where things grind to a halt near the bomb throwing bot?

I never had the chance to ask- have you seen a audio playback system that handles mod files yet?

FMOD plays MOD files, but I haven't found (or looked for) anything to play MOD files in a browser yet. Looks like some resort to Flash to play some MOD files. I just posted a running sample and it seems to work. The first 4 songs were included in the sample. The rest are my own. I think it only takes files with 4 channels (I think that's build into the MOD format). But all the songs I made on my old Amiga (thanks again to durnurd for rescuing them) seem to work for the most part. A couple of them have tempo problems, and some of the special instruments I used in some of the songs didn't come through.  But I've had the same problem with every player I've tried since the Amiga. But it works... if you don't mind delivering this flash component with your page. I don't know if it can be controlled well via javascript.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: 2012-04-06, 06:42:42 AM »
I'm going to try to get started on coming up with some content for the homepage. Help me figure out what interesting exciting points I'm missing.

What is iotaBuildIt?
It's an experimental game and method or philosophy for creating games. The game itself started out as one with very basic, flat graphics, and a number of features, but still very little actual game-play other than a tutorial on how to play. But a good portion of the available mechanics in the game revolves around building small robots from components that you pick up. Each component has a specific task, like powering other components, moving the robot or reacting to other creatures, to take a few examples. And the iotaBuildIt philosophy also revolves around building something from small components: the game itself. It is an experiment in crowd-sourced game development. Each user/player is invited to contribute something of their own to the game world that any other player can then enjoy as they play the game. Then, the hope is, if and when players can rate these contributions, the best game will evolve from countless contributions from multitudes of users. There is much more to say about what iotaBuildIt is, but much of it will be defined by the players. More details will be discussed below.

Why is it called iotaBuildIt?
The meaning of the word "iota" is something very small. The hope is that a multitude of contributions, however small, can add up to something great when combined. Similarly, the robots in the game are built from small components. One of the working titles for the game was "nanobots", but of course those are invisibly small. So maybe it makes more sense to call them "iota" bots. Combining small components to make a functional whole. The title iotaBuildIt also sounds like "I oughtta build it", and you should! We all ought to put something into this game to improve or expand it. The game is about building robots from small components, and the philosophy/method is about building a game from small contributions. The single title covers both of these concepts.

How does iotaBuildIt compare to other games
Understanding the vision for iotaBuildIt may be best accomplished by comparing and contrasting it with other games
GameSimilaritiesDifferences
Conventional platformer (Super Mario World)The basic gameplay is similar to any platformer. It's a side-view game that scrolls as you move. There's a world map. You collect items by touching them, ride platforms, climb ladders, go through doors, etc.
  • The game is playable in an HTML5-capable browser, so it's (hopefully) cross platform, which is not common for many of the platformers of the past.
  • Editing the game is encouraged. Few platform games have editors, and fewer still (if any) encourage editing of the game down to the level of changing graphics and introducing new types of creatures (sprites) or backgrounds (tiles).
  • Editing is flexible. Even for games that do have editors, the editors are designed for that particular game whereas the software used to edit this game is a general-purpose scrolling game creator, and can be used to define a wide range of graphics and behaviors with very little need to write code.
MineCraft
  • The elements are pretty basic to start with - blocky/simple graphics.
  • The world is open-ended as people are encouraged to contribute to and change it.
  • The game involves on building things out of resources that you find.
  • This game is currently 2D, and will probably stay that way.
  • Building within the game does not currently involve much changing of the environment, just building robots.
  • Building outside the gameplay process is much more flexible, encouraging users not only to edit the blocks/tiles, but also all the ingredients: graphics, recipes, enemy behaviors; you could embed an entirely different kind of 2D game within this one.
  • Because editing during the gameplay process is limited, it's possible to define much more elaborate puzzles and stories with specific constraints that can't be circumvented by players. For example, in MineCraft, it's very hard to trap a player because they likely have the resources necessary to build or dig their way out.
  • The world is (currently) 100% created by players instead of generated.
Little Big Planet
  • A multitude of players contribute their own content to the game universe.
  • There is a separate mode for designing versus playing levels so that the player is constrained to certain rules while playing.
  • Players can define how the environment and other creatures behave in their contributions.
  • Contributions are shared with all so anybody can play.
  • The intent is to (eventually) have a rating system so players can easily identify the best content to play with.
  • Players are encouraged to integrate their content seamlessly into others' content rather than having independent modules/levels.
  • Players can contribute modifications and enhancements to graphics and fundamental functionality. Although Little Big Planet allows players to take pictures, and develop music, and define behaviors based on a pre-defined set of functions (pistons, logic gates, etc), it does not let you define objects at the same level as which the initial game was developed. In this game, every player has a power to create equal to that of the initial creator.
  • The graphics and mechanics in this game are currently flatter than those in Little Big Planet.
  • The physics in this game are not as realistic as Little Big Planet; they are more tile-based.
  • This game is free to play and edit on any HTML5-capable platform (not limited to a game console).

How does editing work?
Although all the components of this feature are present, they have yet to be combined into a clean package. But I hope some iota builders out there will assist in formalizing this process. The elements are:
1. Scrolling Game Development Kit 2 to edit the game elements, and export the game to playable HTML5 format, like this. (Although someday, other editors may arise to edit the game more readily, perhaps editing the source file on the web, or editing the HTML5 file directly.)
2. The game itself - currently an SGDK2 project file, though we may consider some versions in which the HTML5 output is manipulated directly.
3. A distributed version control system, such as Mercurial, and it's companion TortoiseHg will be used to track and merge contributions from a broad array of players.
4. SourceForge will (is) likely hosting this project and the PHP code (yet to be developed) to rate and combine contributions into playable HTML5 content.
5. A wiki will also be hosted at SourceForge for people to document and discuss the project.

Philosophy
There is much to say here, but very briefly for now, I think more people should be collaborating more substantially on larger projects. I would like to talk about the Noosphere and how our combined efforts on a huge scale can develop something greater than an individual, or even a corporation. I think corporations are limited in their hierarchical structure which likely prevents many good ideas from surfacing, and inhibits quick and free flow/evolution of ideas.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-06, 06:55:45 AM by bluemonkmn »

Vincent

• SGDK2 Addict
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Legacy of Kain: Revival is completed!!!
    • View Profile
    • Chivalrous Games
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: 2012-04-06, 09:44:54 AM »
I think you're on the right track for the exciting features of iotaBuildIt.  You already have a lot of information, maybe too much for an home page.  Btw, I tried the html5 version of the game, great job! :)  It really improved since I last tried it.
Legacy of Kain: Revival completed!
http://lokrevival.webs.com

See also my company website:
http://chivalrousgames.com

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: 2012-04-06, 10:46:48 AM »
Hey, odd question, but will this game have 2 - 4 players support (SANS the chatroom functionality, so we can focus strictly on the game)

Simple play with one person, and rather than talking to the person like the other online games of today through Instant Messaging, simply just enjoying the gameplay?

Kind of like a 2 player controller port for a browser based game

It would be fun, almost like Sonic 2 in the ways that players could race in levels, or New Super Mario Bros, where players could silently compete with each other

I know it would be possible in the HTML5 version (The only thing limiting me is the lack of a decent backend) but I could imagine it would be a great idea

By the way, I looked into the Mod file you posted with 8bitboy, bluemonkmn, I don't think it will be too much of a hassle to include a flash playback system.

(Of course, I'm going to try and look into another not needing to be named game program to see what they use; the best things are usually eclectic, as you're proving with the concept for this game :))

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: 2012-04-06, 11:04:44 AM »
You already have a lot of information, maybe too much for an home page.

Good point. Some of the info will have to be split into other pages.

Hey, odd question, but will this game have 2 - 4 players support (SANS the chatroom functionality, so we can focus strictly on the game)

Not planned, but it's conceivable anyone could add that.

By the way, I looked into the Mod file you posted with 8bitboy, bluemonkmn, I don't think it will be too much of a hassle to include a flash playback system.

My concern is whether the UI for the player can be hidden and the game can control everything about what's playing and when. Also, if we use Flash, then are we eliminating any HTML5-capable browsers that don't support Flash or users who don't want to install/use/enable Flash?

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: 2012-04-06, 11:22:51 AM »
What bothers me more is playing multiple sounds at once.

I believe we're in luck. I've been searching nihilogic for about 3 years now back in my HTML5 phase and it's a great place to go to.

http://jsspeccy.zxdemo.org/jsmodplayer/

Amiga'ish mod file player

Built from

https://github.com/bfirsh/dynamicaudio.js

There's good an bad news. It uses Firefox's audio data API, but if the browser doesn't support this, it switches back to Flash.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: 2012-04-06, 12:14:45 PM »

What about that bothers you?

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: 2012-04-06, 08:53:12 PM »

What about that bothers you?

Managing multiple sounds being played at once with the player you had posted.

If one 'widget' has to be initialized to play a sound, then would there be any complications in playing multiple files?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: 2012-04-07, 05:56:11 AM »
Well, if I stick to the HTML5 audio tag, I think it's easy to play multiple sounds at once so long as you put them in separate audio tags. I'm still not sure I understand in what sense you're using the word "bother". You're "uncertain" of how it would work? Or you think it won't work? Or you think it's not the right way to work?

My assumption is that other components would work similarly, separate components stream sound through the OS, which mixes them all into one. But I guess I don't know.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: 2012-04-07, 12:24:20 PM »
Well, if I stick to the HTML5 audio tag, I think it's easy to play multiple sounds at once so long as you put them in separate audio tags. I'm still not sure I understand in what sense you're using the word "bother". You're "uncertain" of how it would work? Or you think it won't work? Or you think it's not the right way to work?

My assumption is that other components would work similarly, separate components stream sound through the OS, which mixes them all into one. But I guess I don't know.

I'm going to look into the HTML5 Audio Tag. I'm uncertain how I would be able to trigger a sound at a certain point, while running another sound (Say background music)

I'm also wondering if it (the solution) would be about creating a tag for every file on the loading of the game, and then 'triggering' a tag to play a sound at a certain point (PlaySound).

It's not important now, that's a bridge we'll have to cross once we reach the river's bank. :(

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: 2012-04-07, 08:24:07 PM »
OK, I've got the SourceForge site for the project started, and all the information I posted in my 1 post earlier included in the Wiki (as well as a more complete philosophy) at https://sourceforge.net/p/iotabuildit/wiki/Home/. I think anybody who can log in to SourceForge has permission to submit additions and modifications to the Wiki, similar to WikiPedia. So have at it if you see ways to improve it.