Author Topic: New user on the block  (Read 4471 times)

eyeliner

• Visitor
    • View Profile
New user on the block
« on: 2012-06-01, 04:08:53 AM »
Hi guys, been wandering about in the last hour or so, and a few questions have arisen. I also use this topic to present myself and say "Hi".

So, as far as I can gather, SGDK2 is stable, but better than that is the possibility of exporting to .exe or HTML5. What about other OS's? What if I want to build on Linux? How hard is it to set up? I intend to make games available to Windows and Linux (Mac is third, but I don't have one).

Also, am I allowed to distribute my games without restrictions? I read the licensing post here, but the post only relates to projects hosted on the website, am I safe to assume that?

Considering the 2D nature of SGDK2, can anyone shed some info on how it performs in a virtual Machine environment to test?

The C# present is pure C#, right? No adaptions were made, like most engines, where JavaScript becomes UnityScript in Unity or UnrealScript in UDK? I want to use this as a means to improve upon my C# skills, and use the game-making motivator as a learning objective makes things better. Having a book abut C# near is always nice, and using references that can be used directly in our creation is cool. Not quite so with other editors.

Are any help files online? From the machine I am right now, I can't read the help files because it says that the navigation is cancelled (work computer), so all literature is out of my reach until I get home. :)

For now, that's all. Thank you for your time.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: New user on the block
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-01, 05:19:12 AM »
Hi guys, been wandering about in the last hour or so, and a few questions have arisen. I also use this topic to present myself and say "Hi".

Welcome - good to see new people taking an interest.

So, as far as I can gather, SGDK2 is stable, but better than that is the possibility of exporting to .exe or HTML5. What about other OS's? What if I want to build on Linux? How hard is it to set up? I intend to make games available to Windows and Linux (Mac is third, but I don't have one).

There is some support for Linux. I once managed to create a project which could compile and run in Linux. The IDE doesn't work well in Linux, but the generated projects can run in Linux with the help of the Linux template (separate download). At least they could at one time. I must confess I have not done much testing or ongoing support for Linux, but am willing to offer some assistance to the extent I am able if you encounter troubles trying to compile a project for Linux. The alternative, of course, is to simply target HTML5, which would work on all platforms.

Also, am I allowed to distribute my games without restrictions? I read the licensing post here, but the post only relates to projects hosted on the website, am I safe to assume that?

Yes, you can distribute your games wherever you like.

Considering the 2D nature of SGDK2, can anyone shed some info on how it performs in a virtual Machine environment to test?

I don't recall having tested performance in a virtual environment. The biggest factor there is probably the use of OpenGL. If you can play other OpenGL games in a virtual environment, I would expect performance would be similar. Of course you could test it easily by running the sample game in a virtual environment. I expect performance would be good.

The C# present is pure C#, right? No adaptions were made, like most engines, where JavaScript becomes UnityScript in Unity or UnrealScript in UDK? I want to use this as a means to improve upon my C# skills, and use the game-making motivator as a learning objective makes things better. Having a book abut C# near is always nice, and using references that can be used directly in our creation is cool. Not quite so with other editors.

The SGDK2 IDE itself and the games it creates are all 100% C# code (unless you export to HTML5 in which case the game becomes JavaScript, which is remarkably similar). However, when you are using the rule editors to define how sprites and "plans" operate, you are working one step up, simply calling C# functions with very little need for C#-specific syntax. That's why the games can be exported to either C# or JavaScript (HTML5) format if you are only using the rule editors. The real C# work comes in when you edit code in the SourceCode node of the IDE. Of course, there is the SGDK2 framework which offers some functions that you can call that would not be there if you were writing C# code without those functions in your project. But yes, the C# code is pure C# with no extensions or modifications.

In fact the C# is so pure that when SGDK2 compiles a project, it also generates a .csproj file that you can load into Microsoft's Visual C# Express IDE and edit, compile, test, and run your project as a pure C# project.

Are any help files online? From the machine I am right now, I can't read the help files because it says that the navigation is cancelled (work computer), so all literature is out of my reach until I get home. :)

In order to unblock this, see http://gamedev.enigmadream.com/index.php?topic=1400.0. I could post the help files online, but I have not done that lately. The last place I posted them was at http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/Documentation/Index.html, but those have not been updated since version 2.1.6. If you have trouble accessing the help file still, let me know and I can update the web-hosted help pages so you could look at those instead, and see updated help content. The delivered help file is much nicer, though. For one thing, it will jump directly to the help page for the screen you are looking at in SGDK2.

eyeliner

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-01, 07:36:00 AM »
Welcome - good to see new people taking an interest.
Glad to be on board. Blame #Sharp for it. ;)

There is some support for Linux. I once managed to create a project which could compile and run in Linux. The IDE doesn't work well in Linux, but the generated projects can run in Linux with the help of the Linux template (separate download). At least they could at one time. I must confess I have not done much testing or ongoing support for Linux, but am willing to offer some assistance to the extent I am able if you encounter troubles trying to compile a project for Linux. The alternative, of course, is to simply target HTML5, which would work on all platforms.
HTML5 is far from being ideal, quite simply because of compatibility with older graphics cards, system requirements and sound/music formats. Unless forced, I'd prefer to compile a native app, but I can understand where you are going at.

I don't recall having tested performance in a virtual environment. The biggest factor there is probably the use of OpenGL. If you can play other OpenGL games in a virtual environment, I would expect performance would be similar. Of course you could test it easily by running the sample game in a virtual environment. I expect performance would be good.
This was just a small answer, because I don't have a "decent" machine with Linux in it yet, apart from an Acer Travelmate C110 Tablet. Any VM I make in my desktop is able to outperform my net top, anyway. I'll test the performances regardless.

The SGDK2 IDE itself and the games it creates are all 100% C# code (unless you export to HTML5 in which case the game becomes JavaScript, which is remarkably similar). However, when you are using the rule editors to define how sprites and "plans" operate, you are working one step up, simply calling C# functions with very little need for C#-specific syntax. That's why the games can be exported to either C# or JavaScript (HTML5) format if you are only using the rule editors. The real C# work comes in when you edit code in the SourceCode node of the IDE. Of course, there is the SGDK2 framework which offers some functions that you can call that would not be there if you were writing C# code without those functions in your project. But yes, the C# code is pure C# with no extensions or modifications.

In fact the C# is so pure that when SGDK2 compiles a project, it also generates a .csproj file that you can load into Microsoft's Visual C# Express IDE and edit, compile, test, and run your project as a pure C# project.
Good to hear. Awesome feature and I'm very glad it's present.

In order to unblock this, see http://gamedev.enigmadream.com/index.php?topic=1400.0. I could post the help files online, but I have not done that lately. The last place I posted them was at http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/Documentation/Index.html, but those have not been updated since version 2.1.6. If you have trouble accessing the help file still, let me know and I can update the web-hosted help pages so you could look at those instead, and see updated help content. The delivered help file is much nicer, though. For one thing, it will jump directly to the help page for the screen you are looking at in SGDK2.
In my workplace, this doesn't work, well, I'll use own machine to develop, anyway.

Thanks for the answers. I must commend you for an awesome job as well. Very impressive work.

v6v

• Clever
  • Fanatic
  • Has renamed his project to Galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My Developer Page!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-01, 11:41:52 AM »
TML5 is far from being ideal, quite simply because of compatibility with older graphics cards, system requirements and sound/music formats. Unless forced, I'd prefer to compile a native app, but I can understand where you are going at.

It's nice to meet someone who still prefers native apps around here. I thought I was singled out and behind the times.

eyeliner

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-02, 01:34:39 PM »
It's a logical choice, really. Wrappers don't always give the best performance or even compatibility. HMTL5 is a mangled monstrosity for the time being simply because of the standards that aren't supported by all browsers.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-02, 05:32:22 PM »
At least HTML5 is a big improvement over what we had before, though. SGDK2 games are possibly the first complex web code I've written that works on all browsers.

eyeliner

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-03, 01:37:28 PM »
True it is, but only recent videocards support WebGL and not all browsers support it correctly. Sound considerations also take part in it, so it's not an ideal environment yet. Soon, though.

Also, it's great that SGDK2 exports to so many targets. It's perfect, actually. Only thing missing is mobile support (WP7?). :pray:

I can't wait to whip something in SGDK2 soon, but house buying is taking my time. Only next week I can dive in it. :-[

Great moment in my life, though. I feel really happy. All coming togther is a great thing. Now, only execute one of my life's dreams. Make a game.
 :)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-04, 06:07:34 AM »
Mobile is, in fact, one place where HTML5 is well-implemented. Even across all platforms, compatibility is pretty well guaranteed. I have working HTML5 SGDK2 projects implemented on my iPod, in fact.
Edward Dassmesser

eyeliner

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-05, 03:01:26 PM »
Yes, indeed, but HTML5 is not a native app, but it is, indeed universal. Non question, but pertinent performance wise.