Author Topic: Pixel Genie  (Read 3768 times)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Pixel Genie
« on: 2017-05-26, 06:42:11 PM »
Hey all! I've been working on a site for churning out quick, decent-looking tiles for another project. After a little spit and polish, I've got it usable for the masses. Maybe someone here can get some use out of it. I built it with color tiles like below in mind, but I tweaked it to allow for UV map generation which would come in handy for SGDK 2.3!

Check it out here: Pixel Genie

Here are some examples of the tiles it spits out:

Orion Pax

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • OPX
Re: Pixel Genie
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-26, 09:15:44 PM »
Sorry, I'm probably missing something, am I suppose to import a base tile in some way? Or are they generated via algorithm? I played with some of the options, mainly palette generation but I'm confused on how to either upload a tile or get some sort of displayed tile. The samples look nice

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-26, 09:48:42 PM »
It generates the tiles algorithmically based on the type of generator selected from the dropdown, so no support for importing existing tiles.

The different height map generators create different patterns, and you can tweak the ranges of just about anything on each generator. The default is the DemoGenerator which doesn't do much except show off how you can mouse over the canvas to move the light source. The examples in my screenshot are:
  • BrickGenerator with default parameters
  • LeafGenerator with the leaf count bumped up to 40
  • BarkGenerator with default parameters
  • ShapeScatter with a high object count, and a 5 to 8 sided pyramid as the selected shape
  • ShapeArray with a RoundedBlock as the selected shape
  • ShapeArray with a truncated 4-sided pyramid as the selected shape

Feature bloat was in full-effect here, and instructions weren't a high priority. I may add some better documentation.

Orion Pax

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • OPX
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-27, 01:15:35 AM »
The height map generator is non-functional or empty for me. I played with every option but its just blank.

It sounds interesting and I want to play around with it.

This is what I see. Well I clipped off the Lock light origin frame in the screenshot but that also had an empty scroll list.

I don't think it is at all bloated, it looks very utilitarian to me, which is a good thing. So I am either missing something stupid simple or I maybe lacking a browser addon?
These sad times we live in... you have forgotten me? lol, Granted I disappeared for nearly a decade. I am really interested.

I was working on something kinda similar a long time ago that never came to fruition.
« Last Edit: 2017-05-27, 01:45:51 AM by Orion Pax »

Orion Pax

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • OPX
« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-27, 02:46:34 AM »
Happened to refresh. Everything makes a lot more sense now for some reason? Very cool!

Also I can see now its quite different than what I had worked on which was mostly palette swapping effects.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-05-28, 07:57:53 AM »
Impressive. Did you start working on this after SGDK 2.3 was released, or did you add UV support to something you were already working on? Just curious how SGDK the 2.3 release influenced your activity.

I like bubbles :)

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2017-05-28, 10:52:21 AM »
I started on it about two weeks back after seeing a cool pixel art tutorial, not really for 2.3 initially so much as for prototyping some tiles. But when I started playing around with the light source I realized it wouldn't be hard at all to add UV support and thought of you guys.  :)

Vincent

• SGDK2 Addict
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Legacy of Kain: Revival is completed!!!
    • View Profile
    • Chivalrous Games
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2017-05-29, 05:47:00 AM »
Whoa!  Very cool! :)
Legacy of Kain: Revival completed!
http://lokrevival.webs.com

See also my company website:
http://chivalrousgames.com