Author Topic: flying toasters  (Read 4063 times)

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
flying toasters
« on: 2005-04-15, 05:31:30 PM »
yea, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about getting the flying toaster screen saver for windows. i did a little research myself and found out that it was originally for mac's, but heres where i got a little confused. every aritcle i read made mention to a program called "after dark". if i'm understanding it correctly, it is basically a program that acts as the consol for the screensaver modules. it was originally for mac as well (obviously) and then sometime later the makers made a version for windows, so that the screensavers would work for windows as well. but it seems that all traces of the actual product have been completely erased. even upon visiting the manufacturers site all i was able to find were a few referrences and a breif description of it on their history page. their site is completely devoted to their newer programs and doesnt even offer a download link to after dark. im currently attmepting to find it through such clients as bit torrent, edonkey/emule, and even limewire, with very little success so far.
if anyone would happen to know anything else about it or knows anything that may be of use, let me know.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
After Dark
« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-16, 07:52:41 AM »
The reason you might have trouble finding it for download is because I don't think it was free.  After Dark was a commercial product.

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
flying toasters
« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-16, 12:03:28 PM »
i actually managed to find a version (supposedly) windows compatible with the screensaver i wanted, but its in a zip archive and it's encrypted. ive had a brute force cracker going all night  and right now its on 7 character length, using all upper and lower letters and numbers, and it had about a day and a half left, but i cancelled it. it was something like 1.2 trillion possible passwords, but it was checking ~ 7mil a sec. oh well, gave it a shot.

-----added-later-----

to correct myself, its not all encrypted, it one big zip archive, with ~30 other zips inside it, most of which are encrypted. there are a few encrypted zips that look like they contain some setup files, but also inside the main zip (the 1 that contains all the other zips) are a few unencrypted files:
dunzip.dll
setup.exe
changes.txt
serial key.txt

now i tried to run setup.exe, but didnt have any success, it gave the the error message: cannot find Disk 1 or something of hte sorts, and it spun the A: drive, so i tied copying hte setup.exe and all of the other unencrypted files to a blank floppy. i then ran setup again (from the floppy) and it still gave me the above error. after exploring a bit i found an unencrypted zip inside the main archive titled "setup". inside were a few more files:
adsetup.exe
install.ins
~ins0762.lib
setup.pkg
after a few failed attempts of running the adsetup.exe (both from the hdd and from the floppy), on a hunch, i tried opening the setup.pkg with notepad and found it to contain this text:
[code]J
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy