• Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: Wudd
« Reply #15 on: 2006-04-11, 08:31:42 PM »
It might be a problem with the program you're using to unzip it.  I can't think of anything else.  What do you have?
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2006-04-11, 08:34:29 PM »
No idea...
I just right click and click extract.
Then the extraction wizard comes up (Windows XP Home Edition).
I don't think there would be a problem with that anyways because I've never had a problem with anything else I've downloaded.
Edit: Plus I've downloaded this file before and had no problem with i.

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-04-16, 01:09:21 AM »
Difficulty/gameplay-wise, the first two levels are way too short IMO.  They seem more like a tech demo than an actual level (well, unless you've got MASSES and can afford a couple pathetic ones at the beginning).  The first level was really hard for me the first time, too (so hard to light that torch!), and it might be nice to have the controls a little less twitchy.  Although I think I had that last problem with the little bit I played of Rolly, too, so...  The third level seems like it would be a nice first level, though...  Also, I'm wondering if it might be nice to have a mode where you can stand still and direct your fireballs more easiliy - something like, maybe you hold down the space bar and then get 8-direction (or something) control of the fireball trajectory, but don't have to worry about running/jumping all over the place?  The game did show some promise once I got to the third level, though - it'd be fun to have another *real* demo level.

Also, in the instruction map?  The music is WAY too loud.  Don't get me wrong, I mean, I love FFT, and the save menu music is decent background music, but I don't want to blow out my eardrums on background music just so I can hear what the heck you're saying ;)!  You also need comments, at least in the part that figures out what the outline of the fire is.  That could be an interesting code sample, after all.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #18 on: 2006-04-16, 08:33:03 PM »
Like I said, that's a very old demo of the game.  This game is made ala the old puzzle games where you just have to go around figuring out stuff.  Like Proffesor Fizzwizzle, The Incredible Machine, Marble Drop, etc.  The first levels are very simple, introducing you to the game.  Then they get progressively harder, still adding more items and effects to the game, while keeping all the stuff from before, so it gets increasingly more difficult to figure out the later levels.  The volume problems won't be extant in the finished version, of course.  And the music will be my own rather than stolen from other games (well, I speak to soon.  It won't be my own, but I don't think most people on this board will recognize any of it).  I think the problem with the volume was that I was developing it on my laptop, which has a significant problem with MIDI playing much quieter than WAV files.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the comments about the outline of the fire.  Please expand on that.

Also... I'm way ahead of you.  There is a way to throw fireballs and not have to worry about running around all the time... if you can figure it out.  It's sort of a hidden feature, sort of a bug that I liked when I found it so I left it in.  And later in the game, as I said, more effects and items come into play, making the gameplay significantly different from what that demo holds.
Edward Dassmesser

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-04-16, 10:28:40 PM »
I'm not sure what you're saying about the comments about the outline of the fire.  Please expand on that.

What I meant was that this comment intrigued me:

The only thing I have to say is that if anybody actually do want to do some editing/redoing , the fires have to stay the same shape, since the gameplay depends on the shape of the actual outline of those sprites.

Now, that seems to be saying that you've got script in there that figures out what the outline of the fire is (i.e. non-square).  I'm thinking that might be cool, although I can't think of many uses offhand.  The only problem is, there aren't any comments in the script!  Although, after checking the script again to see if it were easy to find or anything, I suppose it *does* look like most of the script is just related to creating the next map, so maybe that's not what you meant.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2006-04-17, 05:48:32 AM »
The reason the shape of the fire is important is because it affects GameDev's built-in collision detection, not because the script relies on it.  The game has been tested with the current shape of the fire graphics, and if the outline of the fire graphics changed, GameDev would behave slightly differently, and it might be different enough that certain things in the game would no longer be possible.  GameDev detects collisions between sprites based on the non-transparent pixels in the graphics.

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-04-17, 03:12:21 PM »
I did not know that.

Note to self: do not assume anything about Gamedev based on knowledge of Creatures 3/Docking Station.