Author Topic: Favorite New Video Game?  (Read 9154 times)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-29, 11:47:47 PM »
I've heard bad things about Chrono Cross.  Also, I don't have any sort of console, so even if I wanted to play it, I couldn't.

I don't know what people don't like about it, but apparently it's not nearly as good as Chrono Trigger.
Edward Dassmesser

GameDeveloper

Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-30, 11:41:00 AM »
Well, it's not as good... but believe me, it's good.  It was a budget title by Square Soft, when the larger divisions of it were working on the next big Final Fantasy, these people were left by themselves, charged with the task of creating it.  It may not have the biggest budget, but it has the biggest heart.

It's actually really fun and has a great feeling to it.  You know, the feeling all of those classics [video games] give you?

Well...oh well.  I guess you can't play it anyway, I forgot you had no consoles!  Shame too, it's a great game made by a great company. :)

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #17 on: 2005-10-30, 10:09:49 PM »
I actually did own a ps2 at one time, but I never played it, so i gave it to my brother.

I did try FF7, 8 and X, but got bored of them after an hour or 2.  They just didn't seem as fun as the old 2d ones.  I have played through FF2 and FF3 (us) both about 4 or more times, and they are two of my favorite games of all time.  I also tried the fan translation ROM of FFV, which was also a very good game and ranks right up there.

I know if I gave the 3d ones a 2nd chance, and played them longer, I would probably get into them and play them all the way through.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #18 on: 2005-11-07, 06:31:28 AM »
Quote from: "GameDeveloper"
If Bluemonk doesn't already have Shadow of the Colossus, I think he should get it as soon as he can!  It is an excellent achievement (i'm guessing from your hint he has a PS2 ;) ). :)

I relized that, even when you wrote that, I had (and still have) a demo of Shadow of the Colossus sitting on my PS2, but haven't had time to try it yet.  It looks like I'll at least get a chance to try the demo, even if I don't get the full game, though.

GameDeveloper

Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #19 on: 2005-11-07, 10:29:51 AM »
Even if it's only the demo you can experience, that's fine.  You'll realize (hopefully) after playing it that it is an outstanding achievement.  Just watch out for pop-in and slow framerate in the demo.  Oh, and only one colossi, but still, it's a must have.

All of the problems in the demo have been fixed in the final game, which is a huge relief. :)

bat

• Fanatic
  • Cheak out the B*t project
    • MSN Messenger - ethanbatmay@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ethanbatmay
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
Re: Favorite New Video Game?
« Reply #20 on: 2005-12-01, 12:02:21 AM »
i heard about mario rpg... it's real, though?

is love SNES.....   but unfortunently, i don't have one currently, and look at the price they're going for on half.com! expencive.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Game-console_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ43561318

~bat

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #21 on: 2005-12-01, 01:37:54 PM »
Oh, it's real.  Though I don't believe that price that it's going for on half.com!  I've seen it for sale at Target for like $16!
Edward Dassmesser

Zorb Burger

« Reply #22 on: 2005-12-13, 10:54:00 PM »
dat be scoo'.. but ma favorite gam is a classic...

:DSUPERMAN 64 :D

Eastfist

• Contributor
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • Eastfist - Chongchen Saelee
« Reply #23 on: 2005-12-31, 01:47:02 PM »
I just beat Shadow of the Colossus.  Awesome.  Epic.  If I had to design something, that'd be a game I'd be proud of designing.  Of course, if I could implement that on a 2D scale, there'd be a red-glowing orb to attack ;D
"What's in a game?"  Juliet says to insult Romeo.

GameDeveloper

« Reply #24 on: 2005-12-31, 01:54:58 PM »
That game was truely amazing.  I just recently sold my PS2 and all of it's games for an Xbox 360, and so far, I'm thinking it wasn't worth it.  Shadow of the Collosus was a rare gem of a game.  It was incrdibly unique, too.  It almost makes me want to repurchase my PS2, but I don't think I will.  it's amazing that it pulled off having no random enemies and only a steady stream of 16 boss-fights.

I can still remember the intensity and excitment of riding to the next collosus.  The wonder, the excitement, the innovation, the art style, the beauty, that game deserves to be Game of the Year.  well, maybe it has tough compitition with Resident Evil 4, but it's at least a runner-up.  Resident Evil 4 just improved a stale franchise so perfectly, and made survivor-horror games fun and something to get excited about agian!

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2005-12-31, 08:59:28 PM »
i JUST finished Rez for ps2, and i must say that even though it is totally a stoner game, it was HARD. it was originally for dreamcast, and the PS2 version is just a port. the only differences are that ps2 gets 50-60fps, while the DC version only had 30-40fps. i cant do it justice through my explanation, so heres the wikipedia article
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #26 on: 2005-12-31, 09:20:40 PM »
Ooh, my new favorite game is probably "Glace".  For Christmas, I got a box set of a bunch of games that were in the "Independent Games Festival" (http://www.igf.com), one of which was "Glace".  Yeah, it seems like a kid's game, but it was really quite fun.  Actually, it looked like it could almost be done using the Scrolling Game Development Kit.  I imagine that with a few tweaks here and there, it could be emulated.

The other game I got for Christmas was "Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls" which has kept me up until 2:00 AM on more than one occasion and may in fact make me fail all of my classes.  Unless the game get's done real quick here :P
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2005-12-31, 11:06:45 PM »
That reminds me.  I forgot to announce to everyone that said Independent Games Collecton included the Scrolling Game Development Kit in a nice shiny box!  I'll post an announcement.