Poll

How well do the star ratings reflect the actual quality of the projects in the list?

Pretty good indicator
0 (0%)
Some project ratings are off, but most are good
1 (33.3%)
Many ratings should be adjusted
0 (0%)
I think we need a new rating system
2 (66.7%)
The ratings are relatively good, but should all be raised a little or use a more precise scale
0 (0%)
I don't care much about the rating, I just download about every project to play it anyway
0 (0%)
I can't describe my opinion in the options listed above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: 2006-01-07, 08:25:23 AM

Author Topic: How's the Star Rating System?  (Read 3825 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
How's the Star Rating System?
« on: 2005-12-08, 08:22:09 AM »
I would like to hear some opinions on how well you think the star ratings reflect the qualify of the games in the project list.  Pick a poll options and/or detail your thoughts in replies in this thread.

GameDeveloper

Re: How's the Star Rating System?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-08, 07:45:37 PM »
I've played most of the games in the listing, and most of the ratings seem to be spot on.  A few, however, I believe should get another star.  I have an Idea, if possible, you could saet up catagories that the game must score in.  You could have: Graphics; Sound; Gameplay; and lasting appeal.  Also, you could have more freedom of scoring games if you went on a scale from 1-10.  The five star rated games could fit into being 9.4's or 9.7's and only give a 10 to REALLY good projects.  this would give you flexability when deciding on a games score.

Example: [ this is only an example ]
----------------

Rolly-

Graphics: 8.0

Sound: 8.0

Gameplay: 9.5

Lasting Appeal: 7.0
--------------------------

This would warant the game an average score of 8.1 [I think].

Furthermore, you could have a catagory called 'Personal' and this could be used to boost it's score a little, based on personal experience.  Let's say a game has bad sound, lackluster graphics and REALLY good gameplay.  The other two catagories would drag it down, but you give it a 10 on personal to boost it's rating, because you feel it deserves it.

This is only a suggestion.

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-08, 09:51:28 PM »
I think the rating system is pretty accurate.  At least for the top 5 games or so (Although I've never been able to download Chode, anyone have a copy?)

Its seems kind of wierd that some games have hundreds of user ratings and some of the older ones have less than 10.  Maybe we could have "guest" ratings and member ratings, if you are a member of the forum you can vote only once in the members section.

Almost any gamer, and especially game designers will all tell you that gameplay is king.  Good gameplay can make up for almost anything else.

For the offically ratings, I think the most wieght should be put in gameplay and replayability.  followed by graphics, sound, ect.  Also, good bonus points for all the following :
interesting gamedev features (especially without scripting)
doing something unique, or unique to SGDK
small download size
being a complete project
polished gameplay
user friendlyness

Going to a 10 star system might help make a better spread of ratings.
Also for sorts, it might be cool to sort by complete/incomplete, download size, completion time.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-08, 10:22:42 PM »
Weeellll, I don't see how giving points for doing things without scripting is a good idea.  Really, SGDK was originally designed to practically require scripting, wasn't it?  I think any unique ideas should get "bonus points" if you're going to go that route, whether or not scripting was involved.
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-09, 12:56:58 PM »
mmm, i dont really care for the current rating setup. in perticular, i don't like how there are 2 different ratings, one numerical and one based on stars, but they dont coincide with each other. i believe that its 2 seperate ratings, but i think its a little confusing. if there were to be a new one implemented, i feel it should have one rating, like just the stars with a numerical value in parenthesis or something. and if you decide to keep the numbers as decimals, see if there would be a way to do like partial stars, to match the number, like if its a 4.25, have like 4 and a quarter stars... i think you get the picture.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #5 on: 2005-12-09, 11:41:16 PM »
The numbers are the user ratings based on a 10 point scale that you as the player can give it (it averages them out) and the stars are what BlueMonk gives it.
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-12-10, 08:26:22 AM »
yea, i've since figured that out, i just feel that only 1 rating is really necessary. just my opinion

---edit---
also, why are none of the avatar images working?
« Last Edit: 2005-12-10, 08:27:56 AM by billybob884 »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2005-12-10, 08:58:27 AM »
I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Gamehippo that did not have user ratings and everyone was calling for them, so I don't think I'll eliminate those.
The avatars were not showing up because they were still coming from comdel.net, which still seems to be unavailable.  I switched it to komdel.net, so hopefully that will work until we figure out what's up with comdel.net.