Author Topic: SGDK 2.0 Status  (Read 301800 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: SGDK 2.0 Status
« Reply #60 on: 2007-01-03, 05:41:14 PM »
Well, I hope there will be an alpha release this month, but it will not be thoroughly tested and there won't be any documentation, so I'm not sure how usable it will be.  But I will be using the pre-alpha and alpha releases to make sample/demo projects and templates, so it should be *possible* to use if not easy.  And it would be great to have someone eager like yourself out there to help with the testing process when the alpha is released so that when the beta and final releases come along, they're more thoroughly tested.  So if you want to try using the alpha release to work on your project, I'd be happy to hear your feedback and help you out where I can in understanding how to use it (that may also help me in knowing what I need to focus on in the documentation). 

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007-01-07, 11:40:54 AM »
ive got a question on compatibility. i know that in title this is sgdk 2, but will it be able to work on sgdk1 projects? or will there be some sort of importer?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #62 on: 2007-01-07, 01:39:37 PM »
There will be no compatibility whatsoever.  These two projects are completely separate, and there is no way to import or work on SGDK games in SGDK2
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: 2007-01-08, 07:23:29 AM »
You could import your tilesets, and media content (WMV, MP3) into SGDK2 without too much difficulty, but beyond that, there probably won't be much more you could import.  If people find it useful, I could pretty easily write something to allow you to import map layers -- just the tiles without functions or sprites -- but I'm not sure how much that'd help.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: 2007-03-19, 06:19:28 PM »
I just added some documentation for the graphics editor -- it's viewable at http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net/Documentation/GfxEdit.htm.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #65 on: 2007-03-20, 08:16:23 AM »
I think if you do a find/replace on your area map to add a Title attribute set to the same as the Alt in each area tag, then hovering over each area with the mouse will show a tooltip of what that area is.  This works in Firefox and IE.

Checking... yes.  Yes it does do this.  (Also, maybe add a borderwidth=0 to the img)

Oh, also, you might want to add a little bit of this, so it's clear what you're supposed to be looking at, once you get near the bottom, and it doesn't automatically scroll the selected item to the top of the page:

Code: [Select]
function highlight (id) {
var elems = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
for (var i = 0; i < elems.length; i++)
if (elems[i].href == "")
                elems[i].style.backColor = "#ffffff";
document.getElementById(id).style.backgroundColor = "#00ccff";
}
« Last Edit: 2007-03-20, 08:51:56 AM by durnurd »
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: 2007-08-24, 05:58:32 AM »
I'm still making progress, slowly but surely, on SGDK2.  One of the latest changes that has gone in is the ability to see a frame in the background of the frame editor while editing a frame's transformation so you can see how it looks overlaid on/next to an existing frame.  Another is the ability to customize the mapping of buttons between a joystick input device and the player's buttons.  I've also added a new tutorial for converting the sample 2-player project into a 3-player project to help people understand multi-player projects.  And I plan to add a tutorial for creating some new tiles and tile shapes.  Are there any other critical tutorials people can think of that I should include in the initial release?  Something that would help you get started with SGDK2 that's not there already?

Currently I'm in the process of colorizing the updated icons that OrionPax gave me half a year ago or so.  I have not been able to get a hold of OrionPax for many months, so I'm having to start working on the graphics myself and make due with what he left me with many months ago.  I'm planning on changing the development status to Beta soon, and I'd like to have the final graphics in the program for that.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: 2007-08-24, 06:26:35 AM »
Oh crap, forgot about the graphics I said I was gonna make... lol Well they appear to be done, the sample project died, because I had to reformat the computer...(damn viruses) I already had the graphics uploaded on box.net, so I just downloaded them to see if everything was included. They seem to be done, I might touch them up a bit in photoshop first though.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: 2007-11-18, 10:41:08 AM »
Today I made a number of changes according to recent comments in the forums:
1) Limit the size of tiles displayed in the tileset editor's dropdown list to 128x64 pixels.
2) Limit the number of tiles in the list to 8.
3) Allow the tile animation preview to work as a tile preview if you leave it up:
3a) Display the selected background color even for non-animated tiles.
3b) Re-draw the display as it is resized.
3c) Re-sync the most recently opened animation preview to the currently selected tile when a new tile is selected.
4) Add a rule and plan function called "SelectLastCreatedSprite" so you can use SetTargetParameter to set parameters on the last created sprite.
5) Add "lastCreatedSprite" to the dropdown list for rule parameters that expect sprites.

Soon I'll look through the list of suggestions again (I don't have a list, I have to just look at recent forum postings) and if there's nothing else quick and critical to get in, I think I'll try to do another beta release so everybody can get the most recent fixes.

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007-11-18, 12:13:15 PM »
fine. i would appreciate more entries for the help files.
how to import sprite definitions from the library, how to use the music and special effects libs, how to add properly a dynamic sprite...
i would seriously like to have some tuts to show how to script various enemy behaviours.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: 2007-11-19, 06:28:29 AM »
You're not the first to request a tutorial on using/importing sounds, so I'm starting with that.  It might take a few weeks to finish writing the suggested tutorials, so this will delay an updated beta release.  Meanwhile, can you describe in more detail what you'd expect from the enemy sprite tutorial?  There are already sprite templates to demonstrate the following enemy behaviors:
  • Shoot a cannon ball in the currently aimed direction when triggered.
  • Walk back and forth on flat ground.
  • Walk back and forth, following slopes in the ground.
  • Walk back and forth, and jump when a gap is encountered.
  • Follow a path.

Do you want tutorials explaining these already-implemented behaviors, or do you want tutorials about different behaviors?  Are you sure you want a tutorial instead of just a better selection of importable sprite templates (tutorials are much harder to write)?  What information should be included in a tutorial that you can't easily learn by looking at sample code (whether it's new sample code that I could add or some that already exists)?  If a tutorial is necessary, since I can't write a tutorial for every type of enemy sprite behavior, which type of sprite should I write a tutorial about?

Tanja

• Clever
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007-11-19, 12:11:23 PM »
huh, a lot of questions.
durnurd has shown me how to import the sprites you mentioned. these are quite cool. i don't think this possibility was mentioned in the help files, so it would be very good if you could update the help on this topic.
i don't need a tut which explains this behaviours, because the rules are easy to read and are as good as a tut.

i am happy that you are willing to write further tutorials, even if it takes you a few weeks. but the semester ends late january, so i would be more happy if there were more script code to examine. i agree with you that i can learn faster from existing scripts. what's more, if writing tuts is all what you keeps from releasing a new beta, then i would prefer to have the beta first without the tuts.

if you ask me, put your time into development of enemies instead of tutorials teaching the same, but do cost you much more time.
i can imagine monster birds, which are fluttering around at one point till the player is near, and then do a nose dive to attack him. the same with some animals which are grazing on the ground.

as i tried out the cannons, i saw they do fire when the game starts. as a scripting newbie i realized that there is a parameter called fire, but failed to make the cannon fire whenever the player gets near. (actually, i thougt about this problem, but didn't made an attempt to solve it and kept it for future spare time)
i could imagine these script examples:
- fire a few times one after another, pause a few seconds, repeat
- only fire if the player is near (specified range)
- cannon changes its state by itself towards the player (f. e. a cannon on the plain ground runs through the stats left, upleft, up, upright and right, when the player is flying from left to right over the screen. astriction: the cannon is not allowed to run through all states. some are always blocked from solid which the cannon stays on. exept it's a space cannon flying freely through space.)
- combination of cannonball and other enemy: the cannonball/enemy is fired, then lands somewhere because of the gravity. at this place it proceeds its normal enemy behaviour.

and now.... i tell you what i have imagined and dreamed of since i thougth about to start this project. it is sure very complex. it is also not necessary for my project. look at the pics.
the guys with the ball chain-like neck and legs can move really cool around, since these chains are a good method to enlarge a sprite, its outreach, and smooth its movements.
the dragon tank is made of several elements. you have to defeat each of them all to win. with these two techniques one could make so large and distinctive enemies, it would be... so amazing.
« Last Edit: 2007-11-19, 12:14:41 PM by Morgengrauen »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: 2007-11-20, 07:34:58 AM »
I think I will finish the tutorial about sounds that I am writing, then release a new beta, then work on some more sprite templates.  Of course it's impossible to create every sprite type that anyone would want.  Even with just the cannon sprite, you have listed 4 behaviors that could combine to produce at least 16 different kinds of cannon sprites.  So I think I have to focus on more general sprite variations and let the user customize the sprite to their liking.  However, cannon-like sprites are a very common and useful kind of "enemy" sprite so I should maybe provide some more options and variations on that one like those you have mentioned.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: 2007-11-29, 07:20:57 AM »
I think I'm done writing the new tutorial.  Would anyone care to help me test it?  It's at http://sgdk2.sf.net/Documentation/Tutorial4.html for the moment.  I haven't proofread it, so it still needs a final review before re-compiling beta 2.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #74 on: 2007-11-29, 11:47:50 PM »
It looks good to me (minus a few spelling errors), but then, I already know what I'm doing.

I took the liberty of making something a bit more visual.  I made three different types of walkthroughs for the three different parts of the sound tutorial using screen capture programs, and I'm curious as to which people like the most?  Find them here:

http://www.findmyed.com/files/SGDK2Tutorials/Tutorial4-1.htm
http://www.findmyed.com/files/SGDK2Tutorials/Tutorial4-2.htm
http://www.findmyed.com/files/SGDK2Tutorials/Tutorial4-3.wmv
Edward Dassmesser