Author Topic: inventory issue  (Read 3779 times)

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
inventory issue
« on: 2006-01-22, 08:55:40 PM »
sorry if im asking a whole lot at once, i'm just trying to get it all in before i forget about it. heres an interesting little hiccup my game is having. on the boss map, the score inventory isn't showing up correctly. well, to be specific, its the Score2 item, because i transferred all the score and life inventory to new ones, so it would appear that i repositioned them. anyway, the problem is when the score changes, it does not clear the previous number, but writes over it, so after a few number changes, all you have is a white block where each digit should be. i think i had this problem before, like a while back, but i was unable to find anything pertaining to this. ill try to post a rar'd version of hte game in a bit (with all the video and sound as "blank files".

---edit---

ok here it is,

ChameleonMan_COMPRESSED_TO_HELL.rar (approx 7.1mb)

Instructions:
when you open it, everything goes into one folder, then once you open the game, youll go to the logo screen (i believe i substituted the video), so hopefully itll go right to the title screen. from there move up to start, but hold control when you press enter to go to the level select. then go all the way over to the right, look for a blue box with a red ship on it, thats the level where the inventory problem is; get underneath it and jump up. then that brings you to a map with a video i substituted out again, so that should just go to a blank map for a few seconds (this is where the "inventory transfer" occurs, then it automatically goes ot the next map, which is the boss level, where the problem is. you can see at the top all the inventory items, health's, score, lives, ect. well, the score is the problem, so just shoot teh boss a few times (alt key) to increase the sscore and you'll see what i mean.

on a side note, i dont know how the hell i'm gonna get this thing online once its done, its freakin huge. almost 160mb uncompressed so far. (i believe it was ~35 compressed)
« Last Edit: 2006-01-22, 09:29:56 PM by billybob884 »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: inventory issue
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-22, 10:22:38 PM »
I don't think I need to download the project to understand this problem.  I'm somewhat familiar with it.  Text is drawn transparently and therefore does not automatically clear itself after each frame at runtime, which results in the effect you are seeing.  There are a couple ways I think you can fix it:
  • Let the text overlap the map.  The drawing of the map will erase the old text during each frame.
  • Create an inventory item consisting of blank tiles to form the background for the text.  MAke sure the tiles are positioned behind the text.  Make sure it draws first.  The blank tiles will delete the old text during each frame before the new text is drawn.

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-22, 10:24:52 PM »
the only thing i cant understand is that i have other inventory items that are jsut text, and they dont cause this problem..., but ill try putting a large black inventory item behind it tomorrow
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Dr Obvious

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.drobvious.net
« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-22, 11:56:52 PM »
Goo rule of thumb is to just make some sort of solid color background that you'll most likely never see, but in those cases where you're putting your inventory in some blank spot on the screen, it will come in handy and save you a lot of time trying to fix an easy problem (we all do it).

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-23, 12:36:21 PM »
hmm how bout i just change the map setting, under where it says top for map display, i have it set to 32 for where the inventory goes, so i could just change it to 0 and put a black tiles up there right?

---edit---
ok, another problem fixed
« Last Edit: 2006-01-23, 01:25:09 PM by billybob884 »