Author Topic: wep key question....  (Read 2208 times)

bat

• Fanatic
  • Cheak out the B*t project
    • MSN Messenger - ethanbatmay@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ethanbatmay
    • View Profile
    • The B*t project
    • Email
wep key question....
« on: 2006-01-23, 06:17:16 PM »
one of my friends is having a problem with his wifi router and nintendo DS not working together.  he said he needs to know the WEP key of the router... can anyone help?
~bat

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: wep key question....
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-23, 09:50:58 PM »
I just set up my TiVo on a wireless network a couple hours ago.  And I used a WEP key too.  The WEP key is what you use to protect your wireless network so not just any old person in the neighborhood can use it.  It should be a 10-digit hexadecimal number (at least mine is) and I can see mine when I go into my router's "wireless security" screen.  I see I could also have a 26-digit WEP key if I wanted to.  There are other security models you can choose from (WPA or no security -- I think WPA is stronger security, but WEP is simpler).  The key is based on some arbitrary password that you can make up when configuring the router.  If he has a WEP key, any device that accesses the wireless network will need to provide it.  If he doesn't need to provide a key when other devices connect to the network for the first time, then he must not have configured any security for the network.  Not sure what you do in that case -- maybe you can leave the key blank... or maybe he has to go configure some security,