Author Topic: What's a good idea for an attack?  (Read 8143 times)

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
What's a good idea for an attack?
« on: 2006-03-24, 06:58:19 AM »
I started making a new platform game. It's boring if the player can't kill the enemies. Jumping on enemies isn't that great either (even though I've used in some of my games). Post your suggestions if you want. I'd like to do it without script. :)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: What's a good idea for an attack?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-24, 08:20:24 AM »
And why would you like to do it without script?  What exactly is your aversion?

Take a look at the FAQ section that has a link to it on the main page to see how you can create players that shoot and enemies that shoot back.
Edward Dassmesser

hebedaymun

« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-24, 10:09:05 AM »
Seriously man, scripting makes a big difference.  I don't know how to script, but Durnurd advanced my latest game with his handy script.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-24, 02:56:14 PM »
I've looked at the FAQ and have made games before with shooting involved by using script. I might end up doing a shooting script but I want to do something different instead of always having players that jump on enemies or shoot them to kill them. The main reason I don't want to use script is because it is a hassle for testing the game, every time you want to play the game while you're working on it you have to save it, minimize the window and open the game through the icon.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-24, 06:28:51 PM »
The FAQ/Tutorials section provides ways to shoot without script, is what I was saying.  And it's easier to test.

Testing a game by means of running it from an icon doesn't seem like it's that much of a hassle.  So you have to click twice in a row instead of just once...and savind doesn't take that long.

As for ideas for attacks, there are too many to speak of really.  The idea for the game could be mainly avoiding them, but you have something that destroys all nearby enemies that either takes a long time to recharge or you have to pick up and can only have one at a time.  Or you could have a weapon that only freezes the enemies rather than kills them (so you can use them as "stepping stones" of sorts).  Or an ability to turn the nearest enemy into a friend for a while and it will run toward other enemies and kill them both on contact.  I could go on, but I think this is enough ideas to start with.
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-24, 07:28:32 PM »
Ok thanks for the ideas.
With the whole testing thing, I know it's not much more, but it adds up after a while.
And like I said before, I want to do something different than having the player shoot to kill the enemy. Besides if I do end up having the player shoot to kill then enemy I would probably use script because the tutorials on how to do it without script seem like they're more complicated than using script.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-24, 07:49:49 PM »
Anyways, here's the game graphics so far. Pretty simple, I figured for this game I wouldn't spend much time on the graphics and more on the levels. I think I will have some kind of attack where the player (whose name is Boris) has a certain amount of power (shown with some bar at the top of the screen) and when they press a button Boris changes from red to green. When he's green he kills enemies, when he's red he loses HP. (I'm not trying to copy Rolly in any way)
« Last Edit: 2006-03-24, 08:13:10 PM by sam »

hebedaymun

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-25, 10:07:35 AM »
Hmmm...I actually think that attack sounds pretty unimaginative and really doesn't serve the purpose of being innovative, like you clearly state you wish to be.  Hell, I thought up better attacks then that.  Well, anyway, good luck with that game I guess, if it were my game, I would scratch it and start over.

*walks out*

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-25, 10:12:57 AM »
He's doing more than you are.  Not only does he have plans for a game; he has graphics and is making progress in working out specific implementation details.  All you do is rip on other people's games.  It's not very helpful.

if it were my game, I would scratch it and start over.

Maybe that's why you haven't even started making anything.

hebedaymun

« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-25, 10:18:48 AM »
WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!???

He's doing more then I am?
« Last Edit: 2006-03-25, 10:22:14 AM by bluemonkmn »

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-25, 10:25:02 AM »
We're talking about SGDK game development here.  If you have something to show with respect to SGDK projects, show us, but so far you haven't even given a hint of any project that you are working on.

hebedaymun

« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-25, 10:28:02 AM »
UHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was talking about SGDK games too.  Damn, do you think I just found these forums and decided to join, or could you INFER (right?  People still do this right, or is the vast intelligence been sapped away by todays corrupt and hellbound generation?) THAT I HAVE MADE SOME OF THOSE GAMES>

I wouldn't just come to these forums because of something else

Don't flatter yourself, it makes you look like an ass.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2006-03-25, 10:42:17 AM »
I was talking about SGDK games too.

Great!  I look forward to seeing your games... why haven't you shared any with us yet?  We're always looking for new and cool games around here!

Damn, do you think I just found these forums and decided to join, or could you INFER (right?

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2006-03-25, 12:01:56 PM »
Hmmm...I actually think that attack sounds pretty unimaginative and really doesn't serve the purpose of being innovative, like you clearly state you wish to be.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2006-03-25, 01:44:37 PM »
I added an enemy. I also added crossed-swords and a heart. When you touch the cross swords you get 500 attack power (max 1000) and when you touch the heart you get 500 HP (max 1000).
The enemy kind of floats around.