0 (0%)
Mario (any Mario game)
5 (33.3%)
UN Squadron
0 (0%)
Other
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What's the best 2D game ever created  (Read 11416 times)

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
What's the best 2D game ever created
« on: 2006-03-25, 03:39:00 PM »
My favorite is definately Donkey Kong Country (the first one) for SNES. Surprisingly now when I think about it I like that game more than most 3d games I've played, maybe even more than all the 3d games I've played. Every time I think about the game it makes me want to buy another Super Nintendo and the Donkey Kong game.
 3 or 4 years ago my SNES didn't work any more and I threw out all my games with it (what a stupid thing to do!). Now I look at some of these games on eBay and see that they're all worth like 10 bucks each! I had about 11-12 games.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: What's the best 2D game ever created
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-25, 05:56:59 PM »
My vote would go to some Metroid game or another, or perhaps Final Fantasy VI.  Though if you're talking Side-Scroller, definetely Metroid something.  Since it's not on there, my vote must go to Tetris.  Not because of its great qualities as a game, but because it's practically the first game ever that spawned all kinds of other "emulations" of it that never live up to it, and it's just so darn addicting (at least for me).
Edward Dassmesser

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-25, 06:48:15 PM »
I never liked tetris that much (probably because I suck at it). I've always been more into scrolling games with lots of action. I've played Metroid Prime Hunter (or something like that) before on my friend's Nintendo DS. In that game you just run around touching all the enemies with the "stick" to shoot them. That's the only Metroid game I've played before.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-26, 12:57:25 AM »
Hmm, never played anything on the DS before.  I'm talking about the originals, and on the GameCube.
Edward Dassmesser

billybob884

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - billybob884
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-26, 09:16:15 AM »
as much as i love tetris (and believe me, i do) my vote goes towards other games, in sepcific the first 2 sonic games (for genesis), legend of zelda (for gb), and both kirby's dreamlands (also gb). i guess my game was a little sonic-inspired, it was actually my first real console
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." :: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-26, 10:54:18 AM »
Zelda games are awesome! I have The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past/Four Swords for GBA, I've beaten three times. My cousin is letting me borrow his gamecube and he's got Zelda Windwaker. I'm about half way through it. I also like Kirby games. The only one I've ever actually played is Nightmare in dreamland (for GBA). I was so close to beating it. I got through all of the levels and was on the last boss and I died. The thing that sucks about that game when you get to the end is that each time you wanna get to the final boss you have to defeat two other bosses (King Dedede and some moon boss dude that takes like ten minutes to beat).

cbass

• Expert
  • Regular
  • script this
    • View Profile
    • Squest RPG
« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-27, 12:48:25 AM »
I like all 2d games :)  well almost all.

My favorites are pretty close to durnurds, FF, Super Metroid.  Actually I just started playing through super metroid again last week sometime.  STill fun eventhough I've probably played through it 8 or so times.

hebedaymun

« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-27, 10:59:15 AM »
Well...finally a decent descussion!  I'd have to say Super Metroid pretty much kicks ass.  Same with all the final fantasies and especially Chrono Trigger.  Man that game is outstanding.  Another favorite RPG of mine is definitely Earthbound.  Can't wait!!

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-27, 11:24:13 AM »
I've got to agree with you there. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound were two of my favorite 2d games. Super Mario World was probably my favorite platformer. Mainly because I'm just a fan of secret exits.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #9 on: 2006-03-27, 01:17:32 PM »
Oh, yeahm Chrono Trigger.  That was a good one.  I had forgotten about it.  Probably beacuse I was trying to think of platforming games rather than 2D in general.  The mario games were pretty good, and had a definite replayability value to them, but I enjoy the Metroid games more.  Probably because of the consistency of the world.  It's all one huge map.  There's no "World Map" that you go to other levels from, and it was just a lot more involved as far as figuring out puzzles goes.  In Mario, the most puzzling thing you do is find out which pipe you have to go down.  And that one castle where there's ten doors in a row... not fun.
Edward Dassmesser

hebedaymun

« Reply #10 on: 2006-03-27, 02:42:50 PM »
You were trying to only metion 2D Sidescrollers, yet you mentioned the Final Fantasy games?  Huh? ???

trust me, in your post, you mentioned more non-platforming games then platforming.  ;)

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2006-03-27, 02:54:12 PM »
I've never played Chrono Trigger but I hear of it a lot. Sounds like it's fun. The only Final Fantasy games I've played are Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XI for PS2. They're pretty fun but it takes a while to figure out.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #12 on: 2006-03-28, 10:05:33 AM »
No, I wasn't only trying to mention side-scrollers.  I was only thinking about side scrollers, and since Final Fantasy is such an all-encompasing part of my life, I couldn't not think about that game too.  And does it really matter?  Do you really have to go back and analyze everything I say?
Edward Dassmesser

hebedaymun

« Reply #13 on: 2006-03-28, 10:40:44 AM »
heh, no I'm just fooling with you Durnurd.

gwal

• Regular
  • Game Progress: Outer Space / Items
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-03-30, 12:16:48 AM »
I agree with durnurd and hebedaymun; super metroid is probably my favorite.