Author Topic: rayman meets yoshi's island meets awesome animation!  (Read 7135 times)

kmarois

• Visitor
    • MSN Messenger - musicmank@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
rayman meets yoshi's island meets awesome animation!
« on: 2006-04-10, 10:06:02 AM »
Hi there. I am brand spankin new to the forum. I guess I'll introduce myself, then the project. My name is kerrigan I live in st.paul, I have been trained in animation, modelling and texturing. So i can draw. What good is that when you can't write a single line of code. Anyway the project is exactly as it sounds. I have a character in mind with no limbs, just had hands feet and chest. I want to put him in an extremely stylized game ( kinda like yoshi's island). Then I would really like to rock it out on the animation. Problem is everytime I create animations blends I can't get "run" to flow with " jump" or vice versa. Anyway you get the idea. If anyone who maybe struggles more with the art than the coding I would love to hear from you.

Kerrigan

If this is the wrong place to post this just let me know.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
Re: rayman meets yoshi's island meets awesome animation!
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-10, 12:16:02 PM »
I was just thinking that I need to get new graphics for my game.  I've been working on a game called Wudd off and on for a while now.  To create the game, I basically just used graphics from Rolly The Purple Ball and imported them for my game.  I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination, so I was going to ask if anybody wanted to help do the graphics for my game.  The thing is, I've already got many levels done, so I know exactly what graphics I need, I just need them to look different than Rolly graphics.

However, you seem to have an idea of your own.  What exactly are you doing to try to get the animations to blend properly?  And what goes wrong?  Maybe we can help.
Edward Dassmesser

kmarois

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-10, 12:45:52 PM »
I do have my own ideas. I just really want to work on something. I wouild like to do graphics for you're game. The problem with animating is that in all other editors I've used ( mainly gm6) I can never get walk to turn into a run and then a jump and so on? Is there a place I can try you're game and get a feel for it. Then I can send you a couple concepts?

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-10, 12:52:34 PM »
I can never get walk to turn into a run and then a jump and so on?
Do you mean as the player is walking they change to a running sprite?
For this I think you would have to use script or some clever inventory/function setup.

kmarois

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-10, 01:04:08 PM »
I do. I'm thinking mario, metroid, zelda just about any video game has what Im trying to do. I am an animator at heart, and I really would love to be in control of my animation as a character. I am certainly willing to trade art for code or whatever.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2006-04-10, 01:25:39 PM »
yah, then you're probably going to need a script. I don't know much about scripting so just ask on the script board.

kmarois

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-11, 07:51:12 AM »
nevertheless. If anyone is interested in primo graphics I can do them. If anyone is interested in this project I would love to work with you. I use photoshop and maya to do all the graphics that I make. I'm really trying to start a small team project for something. It would be ideal to have my project go through but how often does the ideal come through?

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-11, 09:15:18 PM »
You might be interested in contributing to the graphics library that will (hopefully) be released with SGDK2.  I think OrionPax has suggested/offered his skills in this area, but the more the merrier.  It's still quite a ways from final release, I think, but the graphics editor is done.  You might want to wait until more tools are available so you can not only define the graphics, but also maybe define some sprite types using them and some tilesets.  So even if you don't get a real project going, there's still great uses for some good artwork ... even better if it's in SGDK2 format with 255-level alpha translucency and anti-aliasing.  Of course, you can probably export graphics from the tools you're used to in PNG format if you don't want to learn the SGDK2 graphics editor.  Doesn't matter how the graphics get there; it's just nice to have a library available when SGDK2 comes out.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2006-04-14, 04:41:16 PM »
can we see some of your work?

kmarois

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2006-04-15, 10:10:09 AM »
sure. There isn't too much game art on the site, but you can get the idea. its  http://kmarois.deviantart.com/  Feel free to comment and critique.

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2006-04-15, 12:09:52 PM »
Did you draw all of that or is some of it photos?

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-04-15, 07:45:56 PM »
You intrigue me.  For two reasons, actually.

First, I've got a project that I want to do, but I'm not sure how easy doing the graphics would be for me.  So, once I have the basic functionality down (it seems to require lots of relatively non-trivial code just for that...), it would be cool to have help - especially art help.  The style I'd want is probably something like Super Mario World or Super Metroid - does it sound like it might possibly interest you, when I'm ready?  Oh, and just FYI, the player doesn't need any fancy graphics, in case that's like a deal-breaker or something.

And second, due to the non-trivial nature of figuring out how to express these particular intentions in code, it might be interesting to help you with your project (depending on how complex you want it), so that I can actually make, y'know, progress with something.  I might not want to do, like, a commercial-length platformer or something, but maybe like a short little demo-length thing might be interesting (i.e. couple levels, hopefully nothing that breaks the universe with its complexity).  So, if that offer might interest you, mind telling me a little more about what you have in mind?

And either way, if you have an interest in doing animation for amateur games without actually having to do any coding or anything, I say you should stick around, or at least leave an email address ;).

Bulbaboy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-04-16, 01:12:59 AM »
A quick clarification: "the player doesn't need any fancy graphics" refers to the player sprite.  The player, meaning the human, alien or sentient AI/animal sitting at the computer, can definitely have fancy graphics to look at.

kmarois

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • just my deviant stuff
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2006-04-16, 10:42:36 PM »
cool. thanks for the replys guys. Everything from the site is hand drawn and painted in photoshop, except what is obviously a photo. like where I have submitted it as a "photo deviation". secondly the your project ideas sound awesome. super metroid is definately one of my top 5 games of all time. And I would be ecstatic to do a platformer demo type game. Or even just get something where the code works and its a matter of getting graphics into it. Don't listen to me though I really mean it when I say I don't know how that works. I have the day off tomorrow so I'll probably start scribbling some ideas down.

thanks,

kerrigan.