Author Topic: New Project Demo "Gems" Is Posted  (Read 3286 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
New Project Demo "Gems" Is Posted
« on: 2006-10-15, 09:48:24 AM »
See the new project demo for "Gems" posted on the project listing at http://gamedevprj.sf.net/.  Comment on it here if you like.

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
Re: New Project Demo "Gems" Is Posted
« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-16, 11:03:47 AM »
I think it's a pretty cool game. I can't give the author any credit for graphics since it's a set, so I'll try to limit this to gameplay and level-design.

What bugs me about this game is how slowly the character moves. Just preference, but I like to move a little faster. Secondly, I found that in the 4th level, the spikes don't even hurt you. In the sewer level, if you gather 30 gems, die, and unlock the first door you come to, even suicide won't let you go back and fix things. There were a few little mistakes like that in it, but that's understandable for just a demo. Thirdly (and I know the project listing talked about this) is the forced gem collection. If the gems are impossible not to get, there's not much of a reason to have them in there. I feel like I should have to do somthing to get them.

I do like the level design. Several things I think should be required in a game's layout were included: stuff like putting gems farther down a path than the locked door. There were those nice elements that popped up every now and then: the escape sequence near the end of level four, for one. Sound effects made it alot nicer, too. Oh, and probably my favorite little touch was the points. When the number floats away, that just made the game much better. I don't know if the music is original, but it's very professional sounding if so.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2006-10-16, 08:13:03 PM »
I also had problems with how slow the character moved, so I edited the game and removed the framerate limit.

However, I was never able to get past the first level.  Woe is me.  I died way to many times and eventually just gave up.
Edward Dassmesser

eric22222

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eric Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2006-10-16, 09:37:21 PM »
Heh, yeah... I wasn't sure how the savepoint thing worked and ended up losing my completion of level one. I just went in and gave myself super speed and untethered myself from gravity. Made things much easier  ;D.