Author Topic: Company of Heroes doesnt work!!  (Read 13385 times)

mccool

• Regular
  • That's like trying to eat a burrito with no fork!
    • View Profile
Company of Heroes doesnt work!!
« on: 2007-03-16, 02:53:24 PM »
What is this world coming to?!?!?!?!  Ok sorry... To run Comp of Heroes i need at least 512 MB ram ( recomended 1024!) i checked and my computer only has 256. anything i can do to update it? (free?) how much would it cost?
Old Skool!

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Company of Heroes doesnt work!!
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-16, 05:37:48 PM »
I just got rid of a bunch of DDR1 memory cheap. I'll see if I have any more. I do have a couple of gig of registered ECC DDR2 if thats any help.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-16, 06:12:57 PM »
Upgrading RAM is never free, no matter what anybody says.  Back when I had crap RAM, I could get programs to run, however, even with less than the required amount of RAM.  Just set your settings low.  Have you actually tried running it?
Edward Dassmesser

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-17, 03:50:07 AM »
Unless you work for Sun, but even then the memory you do get for free is the stuff that fails 4 corners environmental testing so it can't be run at high speeds. The trouble with free stuff, is that its worth exactly what you pay for it.

mccool

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-17, 06:12:37 AM »
this is the message it givs me when i try to run it. "Not enough physical memory to run the game. Your system must have at least 512MB of RAM." how do i upgrade it?
Old Skool!

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-17, 07:45:12 AM »
By going out to Best Buy, purchasing a RAM chip, opening up your computer, and sticking it into the motherboard.

If you're not experienced in this kind of thing, the Geek Squad is your friend.  Bring your computer in and say "I need 512 MB of RAM".  Otherwise, you'll need to know what kind of RAM is compatible with your motherboard, what slots you have open (type, how many) and max speed of the RAM.  And whatever you do, don't touch anything inside your computer without being grounded.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2007-03-17, 07:53:42 AM »
Yes, and be sure you don't just stick it anywhere in the motherboard; there are specific slots for these things ;).

mccool

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-03-20, 01:53:12 PM »
i checked and i have 2 slots DDR and s2 slots SDRAM.  So can i just buy and DDR or SDRAM chip and ittl work with my computer? or are there lots of other requirements for a specific chip to work?
Old Skool!

dutch_619

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2007-03-21, 07:23:05 AM »
I'm unsure about older processors, but the integrated northbridge on newer AMD procs can't handle multiple memory types. It's best not to mix types even if it would support it. On motherboards with dual channel memory the vendor, size and speed need to be matched across banks.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #9 on: 2007-03-21, 04:15:07 PM »
If you're feeling up to it, open up your computer and peek inside to see which kind and how much memory you have in each slot.  There will probably be 2 or 3 empty slots, and 1 or 2 full slots (for a regular computer).  If you're planning on getting some more, go with the kind you already have in your computer.  If you already have all of the slots of one type full (2, on a regular computer), then you'll have to pull one out and not use it, and swap it with a larger one.
Edward Dassmesser

mccool

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Company of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: 2007-03-23, 04:31:23 PM »
ok i did it. i bought and installed  a 1gb ram. it works. the game still doesnt...   AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!
...ok now the message is "Not enough virtual memory to run the game. Your system total paging files must be at least 768MB. Please consult the manual that came with your OS." 

I called my uncle who is good with computers and he said all i gotta do is change a setting somewhere (not buy anything!) but he forgot how to change it! What do i do now?

PS the ram is now 1280MB so there isnt a problem there anymore!
Old Skool!

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #11 on: 2007-03-23, 06:11:46 PM »
In windows XP:

Right-click on My Computer on the desktop or in the start menu, and choose Properties from the menu
OR open the control panel and open System (if you're in Category mode, it will be under Performance and Maintenance).

open the Advanced tab at the top

in the Performance frame, slick on Settings

open the Advanced tab at the top

in the Virtual Memory frame at the bottom, click Change

Select Custom Size if it's not already selected, and in the Initial size, set it to the Recommended value shown below.  In the Max size, set it somewhere higher than that, and at least 768 MB if the recommended value is lower than this.

Click Set

Click OK

Click OK
Edward Dassmesser

mccool

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-03-24, 11:05:58 AM »
i did that and theres a new error message. This one says "Failed to find a supported hardware rendering device. Ensure that your system meets the minimum reqirements for Company of Heroes. Verify that DirectX is properly installed and that you have the latest drivers for your system." I should probably just buy a $50,000 computer and maybe the game would work! i know directX 9 came with the game and i have a 64MB ATI radeon graphics card. what a probably dont have is pixel shader 1.1 and "the latest manufacturer drivers" what do i do?
Old Skool!

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #13 on: 2007-03-24, 02:15:23 PM »
Well, a $1000 computer would probably do.  But as for your drivers, just go to http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and click on Professional/Home under Windows XP, then choose Radeon (at the top of the next list) then find your card model.  Click on it, then click on Go.  Find any package that includes drivers, and download and install that.  64MB is enough, but it's scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Edward Dassmesser

mccool

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-03-25, 01:01:03 PM »
how do i find my card model? Oh, and its free isnt it?
Old Skool!