Author Topic: Sugestion about help balloons;  (Read 7564 times)

SPYmaps

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • SPYmaps - SP-leveldesign
    • Email
Sugestion about help balloons;
« on: 2010-12-02, 04:43:10 PM »
i like how the editor looks, although it does look still quit complicated to me but this is just because i am totally new to it.
so to me is each button a miracle what it will do and what it stands for. and therefore i have a small suggestion, it's certainly
not a complaint, just a idea that mait could be implemented.

with other programs you sometimes have it that when you held you're mouse above a button in that program for a second or
more that then a small text window above opens with a one word explanation of what that button does.
and for someone who starts with the engine for the first time like me it would help a lot to know which button it is. because
now i find in the great clear and well writen tutorials sometimes a command of press this or that button, and i don't know
where to look for it. the tuts are well writen like i said, so it always explains it a bit, where to look for it.
what also doesn't help is that i am Ducth, and many other users will also not be English, meaning they don't use the English
leagues as first leagues. what makes reading tuts, and finding buttons and functions a bit harder as it is for a English person.

so, its just a small suggestion. just see what you do with it Bejamin.

:)

leon
I LOVE SP-MAPPING, (check my site for sp-mappacks, sp-mods, movies of them etc.)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Sugestion about help balloons;
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-03, 06:14:55 AM »
I'm not sure if there is an easy way to make help bubbles in .NET, but it's a good suggestion.  I should investigate that.  Until then, I hope it's not too hard to press F1 to show the help about the whole current window and hopefully the button you're looking for is on there somewhere.  The graphics editor help page has an image of all the buttons and you can click on any one to find detailed help about it.  So if you're using the graphics editor, I suggest pressing F1 on that screen and then click on all the buttons that look interesting to you :).

SPYmaps

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-04, 06:50:40 AM »
it was just a suggestion, F1 is a great help too, although its still a bit hard to find my way through ALL that info
that is given there. but that is logical, soon i will get that hang of things.
thanks for the info,

leon
I LOVE SP-MAPPING, (check my site for sp-mappacks, sp-mods, movies of them etc.)

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-05, 10:48:47 AM »
The System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip class can create tooltips for buttons.  I don't know why they didn't make the tooltip a property of the control, but you can use it easily enough by creating a ToolTip instance and calling
tooltip.SetToolTip(Control,"Text");
for each button that should have a tooltip.  You can easily tell the tooltip to display as a balloon if you want that feature.
Edward Dassmesser

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-05, 04:11:41 PM »
Tooltips and help balloons are a little different... I don't think he was talking about mere tooltips.  Aren't there already tooltips?  Oh, but you say the same control can display help balloons?   checking...

The tooltip control only works for controls, but most of the buttons in SGDK2 are toolbar buttons which have tooltips, but no support for help balloons that I can see.  And toolbar buttons are not controls (they do not inherit from control).
« Last Edit: 2010-12-05, 04:23:06 PM by bluemonkmn »

SPYmaps

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-06, 05:22:02 AM »
i noticed something strange, because suddenly i did had small windows with the name of the button when i held my mouse above one.
this was i guess because i had the help tutorial window open, on the part where you see the editor buttons explained. first i noticed
that when i kept my mouse above a button in the tut window it did gave the name of the button, and when i then moved my mouse
above a real button it also gave the name of it. so it seems that all you have to do is to have the tutsection open in Help.

leon

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-06, 06:26:54 AM »
I don't think it would have anything to do with the help being open.  It must be something else.