Author Topic: Are these graphics any good.  (Read 281373 times)

sam

• Fanatic
  • This statement is false.
    • MSN Messenger - samlancashire@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
Re: Are these graphics any good.
« Reply #15 on: 2006-03-29, 06:39:50 PM »
The graphics are good, they don't look bland but I don't think they look that much better than mine, but then again my graphics are a more of a cartoony style which makes it hard to compare.

hebedaymun

« Reply #16 on: 2006-03-29, 06:46:18 PM »
(censored by BlueMonkMN), that made me laugh out loud.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-30, 06:36:24 AM by bluemonkmn »

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2006-03-29, 07:53:31 PM »
I think you're doing just fine for being a 12 year old!
I would say it looks more like a complete replica of a kid's (maybe...10?) drawing on paper using crayons
What?
P.S:  I know why all of you are saying his looks better, don't worry I'm not trying to make him feel bad, but sometimes it's better to tell him the truth so he may try harder to reach a better skill level.
What do you think I'm a 3 year old!? The reason I started this topic was to get opinions, if I thought they were going to make me feel bad I wouldn't of started this topic. If any of the stuff in this topic would of make you feel bad when you were 12 then you had some problems. 12 year olds aren't little kids, you were 12 once.

I have much more detail in my graphics.
A few of your tiles are just a couple scratches in a wall.

hebedaymun

« Reply #18 on: 2006-03-29, 08:19:33 PM »
Uhhhhhh...I don't know where to start, your last post was just all over the place.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-30, 06:47:03 AM by bluemonkmn »

hebedaymun

« Reply #19 on: 2006-03-29, 08:27:56 PM »
Here is a game that is (I guess) more like the graphic style of yours you posted.  yeah....well, here it is!  Notice, grasshopper, the Depth, the DEPTH!

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2006-03-29, 08:36:34 PM »
I know what depth is.

hebedaymun

« Reply #21 on: 2006-03-29, 08:38:12 PM »
No, no, you numb-skull, I CALLED you a grasshopper.  You know, the old kinda chinese master and his g--...oh, never mind, you're probably even to young for THAT!

EDIT: Whoa, holy crap, did you just realise what I meant by grasshopper?  You just deleted it from your above post!  HA HA HA HA HA!!!

...sorry ;)

gwal

• Regular
  • Game Progress: Outer Space / Items
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-03-30, 12:40:03 AM »
Well sam, i think that I agree with hebedaymun; your graphics could use some more detail/depth. Adding a few shadows or gradients can really improve the visual look of a game. Recently with my own game, I threw out the graphics on the first two levels because I didn't think they had enough detail. I'll post a screenshot tommorrow.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2006-03-30, 07:13:00 AM »
Next, I never said you were a 3 year old, and I never thought it.

hebedaymun

« Reply #24 on: 2006-03-30, 09:48:45 AM »
Blah blah.  I didn't read any of the above post - too much text, sheesh, it's almost like I'm in college again.

*laughs*

Well, anyway, just fix up the few little faults I mentioned about your graphics Sam, and your sure to please at least me, for what it's worth.

See ya.

durnurd

• Lead Lemming
  • Expert
  • Fanatic
  • Games completed so far: 0
    • MSN Messenger - durnurd@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Find My Ed
« Reply #25 on: 2006-03-30, 10:30:16 AM »
Just because you can post something, doesn't mean that you should post the first thing that you can think of, especially if it's degrading.  I had a great urge to post "Perhaps you need to go back to college, buddy.  Looks like you missed quite a bit" as a retort, in kind with what you have been posting, but I didn't, except for now, in explanation.

As for your graphics, they're okay.  The trees could use a bit more detail, and you might want to think about making the mountains more like mountain ranges rather than triangles of a different color sticking up out of the ground.  Generally, there's not such a stark contrast between ground color and mountain color, at least not immediately.

For Sam: I like some of the graphics, if cartoony is indeed what you're going for.  They have greatly contrasting colors, and very vibrant tones and outlines.  Then there are other graphics that look like they are less cartoony, and more... I can't think of a word right now.  But it seems that you have two distinct tile sets that I would not expect to see in the same game.
Edward Dassmesser

hebedaymun

« Reply #26 on: 2006-03-30, 11:44:37 AM »
Yeah, whatever Durnurd.  You're just downplaying me because I'm older, and he is some young kid, I guess.  That's cool.  Besides, I wouldn't want to go back to college, man, even if I need to!

Besides, there is no way I can go back, it took to much damn money in the first place.

See ya.

P.S:  You can't see the damn detail in the trees because the .jpg image makes it look all blurry!

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2006-03-30, 08:28:00 PM »
For Sam: I like some of the graphics, if cartoony is indeed what you're going for.  They have greatly contrasting colors, and very vibrant tones and outlines.  Then there are other graphics that look like they are less cartoony, and more... I can't think of a word right now.  But it seems that you have two distinct tile sets that I would not expect to see in the same game.
I didn't put a whole lot of effort into the factory tileset (especially the flaming barrel) by the time I got to the third level I had some good ideas but not much ambition  :). As for the second tileset (normal ground) the only thing that took me a whole lot of time was the waves....... :o I can't remember, it's either 54 or 55 frames. I guess it was worth it, (That's why 90% of the second level takes place over a river  :) )

sam

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • samlancashire.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2006-03-30, 08:34:06 PM »
Here's a couple of screenshots of some of the levels put together:
EDIT: In the first screenshot Fergus is jumping not flying ???
« Last Edit: 2006-03-30, 08:37:48 PM by sam »

hebedaymun

« Reply #29 on: 2006-03-30, 08:37:40 PM »
*Throws up*

(Censored by BlueMonkMN), please everyone, be realistic and admit this in NO WAY looks even on par or better with my game.
« Last Edit: 2006-03-31, 06:24:22 AM by bluemonkmn »