Author Topic: Tony the Speeder  (Read 334502 times)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
Re: Tony the Speeder
« Reply #15 on: 2007-07-23, 05:51:02 AM »
I found a place. I used box.net! Thanks though. To download it go to www.IndependentGameMakers.piczo.com and find the link that goes to the games site. And, BlueMonkMn, can my game be mentioned on the SGDK site? Thanks! :D ;D

Why do none of the hills work like hills? It looks like you grouped all your hills into one category.  Have you noticed that none of the hills work?
I also am wondering if I'm supposed to be able to get past level 2.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-23, 06:00:24 AM by bluemonkmn »

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2007-07-23, 08:04:28 PM »
Sorry :-[, about that. I think I will put up an updated version. With better graphics, more fun, checkpoints, and faster loading (I hope for the last part) ;D. And yes, you are able to get past Level 2. The easiest way is to jump when the clouds turns into its 3rd or 2cnd to last gray color!
And my name will be changed.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2007-07-23, 09:46:23 PM »
You would probally have to jump while holding left or right to get up slopes. I did put them in of group. It will be fixed in the next version. Except different rules. And to get up slopes in a leftward direction, you will have to hold the left button and jump. ;)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2007-07-24, 05:04:57 AM »
I know how to get past clouds.  Just turn into a ball and wait for them to come back because you can't fall when you're a ball.  But I can't figure out how to get past the wall of enemies at the end of the clouds.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2007-07-29, 10:41:52 PM »
Sorry, about the lateness. I added a new project, it will cause you to move where you are rolling, but only on the ground. That means no air rolling. And the fastest way to move would be by rolling. And only 7 lucky people have the original DEMO, excluding me. Have fun!

P.S. Visit www.IndependentGameMakers.piczo.com

And I would be happy to recieve any suggestions for part 2. Yep there is a part 2, 3, and 4. And he will not stop there! ;)

And also any helpful advice for this and my future games!
And also I will help anyone who needs it!
And also ask for some MODS, How cool would it be to play Rolly or the Wizard guy instead of Tony?
*My 50th post. All dance for Tony!*
« Last Edit: 2007-07-29, 10:46:55 PM by BlueWind! »

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-13, 09:57:31 PM »
I have an installation that's to big to go on box.net. And I learned how to ftp :D! So BlueMonkMN, are you able to put the installation on your site? Thanks! ;D

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-14, 08:11:39 AM »
You can FTP it to enigmadream.com and then I can move it somewhere publicly accessible. Login with user sgdkuser and password sgdkuser. Let me know if/when you have uploaded it so I can move it and provide a link.  You can upload a set of files representing a little web site for it if you want (use relative paths).  I don't know if I'll have time to review and post it on gamedevprj.sf.net, though.  For now I'll just host it at some address on enigmadream.com.  Then you can post links where you like.

I wonder how I should decide what projects to review and post on gamedevprj.sf.net.  Maybe I should make a formula to decide whether a project is worth its size... maybe 100 KB * 10^(stars / 2)? :)
0 stars = 100 KB max
1 star = 316 KB max
2 stars = 1 MB max
3 stars = 3.1 MB max
4 stars = 10 MB max
5 stars = 31 MB max

Of course that doesn't work because that means I have to review the project before I decide if it was worth reviewing :)... but I could at least use it to decide which games are worth posting after reviewing them.

Anyway I can host it, but I don't know yet if it'll get listed.  Maybe I should get some help in reviewing and posting projects.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-18, 11:51:10 AM »
Well I thought I knew how to transfer files. It turns out I just knew how to log in? Sorry, can some one help? Thanks! ???

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-18, 04:39:53 PM »
well, people can't be stuffed downloading a game that's over 10mb unless they know it's really good. COMPRESS IT! Re-Save bmp files as jpg. (use a high quality compressor... not paint. Use photoshop or GIMP and save as full quality, you can barely tell the difference in the graphics, but the file size drops dramatically. (I got a 30MB project down to 10MB using this method.) if its still too big, music files could be WMA/MP3 to be compressed.
     Of course, the game itself keeps looking for BMP graphics and doesnt find them, this causes an error. So open up the gdp file in notepad. (right click>open with>notepad) then change (for example)

TileSetDef=1
Name=Ground
ImagePath=Ground.bmp
TileWidth=128
TileHeight=128

to

TileSetDef=1
Name=Ground
ImagePath=Ground.jpg
TileWidth=128
TileHeight=128

and do it for every tileset...save it, then run your project.  ;D (you have to do it for sound files as well if you changed them)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-21, 09:01:58 AM »
You can also open the file in an editor that has a "Replace all" function. Most of them are rich text editors like Microsoft Word. if you do use it make sure you save it in text only format

Edit->Replace... then type in .bmp for the find box and .jpg for the replace with box. some include a "comfirmation" type thing where it hilights the word and asks you if you want to replace it. otherwise click replace all to do this automatically.
Looking to the skies.....

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2007-08-21, 08:16:35 PM »
Thanks, you were both helpful. But when I tried the JPEG, Tony ended up looking as if he had things around him. So instead I just used an install. You guys should try it. It's free, and whatever you put in it, it still belongs to you and not the people who created the install thing.
www.clickteam.com. Along with that, they have even more things! But note, always read the agreements! ;)
Oh, and the new demo will be out. And all you have to protect you is, your, or his, own rolling ability!
« Last Edit: 2007-08-21, 08:46:00 PM by BlueWind! »

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2007-08-22, 12:58:08 AM »
thats cause you tried the low-quality jpeg... you have to put quality on 100%...

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2007-08-22, 05:41:54 AM »
1) I don't recommend JPG for sprites with transparency, even if it's set to 100%.  I think GIF would get better compression without quality loss.  But even if you just leave it as BMP, the compression provided by the install packager should help.
2) Are you saying you went to clickteam to get an install packaging program?  Why not use the one recommended by GameDev (NSIS)?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2007-08-22, 04:05:36 PM »
yeah, I agree with the install packager thing...NSIS doesn't have ads if I remember correctly, and with the in-built exporter in SGDK, it is very easy to use. =D

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2007-08-22, 09:10:26 PM »
Are you saying you went to clickteam to get an install packaging program?  Why not use the one recommended by GameDev (NSIS)?

Well, it was around winter last year when I learned about the install thing I got. And I didn't know how to use the NSIS. And also I had gotten used to the one I got when I finally learned. I had also wanted to experiment with the one I got. See if it kept files hidden or readonly. It only keeps things readonly, I think. No disrespect on the NSIS, I hope. :-\ And can I use this picture as my user picture.