Author Topic: Tony the Speeder  (Read 334504 times)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tony the Speeder
« Reply #75 on: 2008-11-09, 09:43:17 PM »
heres some of my suggestions

1. have you made sure that the uphill tiles and downhill tiles are defined correctly

/|
  / |     <- This is uphill
 /  |
/__|

|\
| \
|  \       < - This is Down hill
|__\

or are your hill tiles mistakenly defined as both a solid tile and an uphill tile
or you mistakenly put the wrong tile definitions in the wrong dropdown box for solid def

2. do you have too many events going on at one time for the jump button? on my system, there is a short pause when i jump

3. if there is an enemy that flies low-head, you could crouch (or better yet, crawl) under the enemy without being hit

4. check scrpiting, that's my best offer

5. put a shortcut on the same folder as the help files, or even better, explain the instructions in-game
Looking to the skies.....

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: 2008-11-10, 05:45:13 AM »
I think the problem is that your tiles aren't square.  I don't think the GameDev code allows the player to climb hills steeper than 45 degrees.  That's why I can't walk up hills in either direction.  The tiles are taller than they are wide, which causes the slope of hills to be steeper than 45 degrees.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: 2008-11-10, 08:11:54 AM »
i think the problem is also that whenever your player touches a solid or a hill tile, you change back to the normal character (since you use a separate sprite for jumping). for some reason, this is causing you to sink into the ground, especially in the hill tiles. i noticed that the game works just fine when not actually playing the game because you have map editing turned off (like tiles don't disappear forever when you collect them). i think what's happening is that when you touch a solid or hill tile, it's inertia causes the player to go through the tile while it is switching, thus not making you able to move correctly. i think another problem is that the one of the sprites that you switch to does not have solid tiles defined, which may cause you to sink even more into a tile.

i had this almost same problem, so i tried using this script to help

Code: [Select]
Sub Player_OnBeforeMoveSprites()
With ProjectObj.GamePlayer.PlayerSprite
        If .DX = 0 AND .DY =0 Then
                .ActivateFunction("Normal") 'replace "Normal" with whatever function is your switch back to normal function
        End If
End With
End Sub

it works pretty well!

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: 2008-11-11, 11:06:02 AM »
sorry! i lied. use this one!
Code: [Select]
Sub Player_OnBeforeMoveSprites()
With ProjectObj.GamePlayer.
        If .PlayerSprite.DX = 0 AND .PlayerSprite.DY =0 Then
        If .PlayerSprite.rDef.Name <> "Player" Then 'replace "Player" With the definition name of your main player sprite, btw, <> means not equal to
                .ActivateFunction .rMap.Specials("Normal") 'replace "Normal" with whatever function is your switch-back-to-the-main-sprite function
        End If
        End If
End With
End Sub

using this does not require any tile interactions.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: 2008-11-11, 09:34:18 PM »
1. I think BlueMonkMN is right about this problem. SmartBoy16, you did,
 however, solve a problem I had before. So I will keep your code in mind.
Thanks.
2. The pause should be only at the start at the game. So, I probally should
load the jump before the game starts.
3. Good idea, but I already started to take off the crouch and look up sprites.
Feel free to use it, though.
4. I planned to make my game without scripting. So I have none to check.
5. I thought I put it out where it could be seen. I should update that.

Thanks.
 :)

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: 2008-12-06, 07:34:37 AM »
i think i solved your hill problem. when you walk up a hill and stop you change into the standing sprite, which is taller and narrower than your running sprite. this causes you to get stuck inside the hill (see pics below)

this is also why you ocasionally get stuck in the ground. when you stand and then you run, your runing sprite digs into the ground causing you to be stuck. the same goes for most of your other sprites, especially your rolling sprites. try to make all of your sprites at a consistant size, such as 53x53.

and your oddly shaped tiles are taller than they are thinner.  i think when the game tries to make your slopes it ends up as a shape like this:

/|
        / |
       /  |
      /   |
     /    |
    /     |
   /      |
  /       |
 /        |
/         |
|         |
|______|

if you go fast enough, you don't notice this very much. but when you go from a solid to a slope (especially coming from the right)
you stop.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: 2008-12-06, 11:28:59 AM »
I see what your'e saying. Thanks. And I have now kept him in constant size.
But to do that, I had to give up some stuff like the roll, looking up, and crouching.
But now he does a jump bounce. Press space when jumping.

I would change the graphics for the game to get a more fitting size, but if
I did that, it would corrupt the other levels. (Like the warning that appears when
you press "update" on a graphic)

I will fix it in the sequal. So I'll keep your suggestions, first, in mind.

Thanks. :)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: 2008-12-06, 07:32:42 PM »
you shouldn't have to give up rolling, looking up etc.
It doesn't matter if you have excess space on the side of a tile. For example in my stickmen sprites in SGDK2, every frame had the same tile size, but the jumping had excess on the sides and the running had excess on the top. I could have cropped each tile to fit perfectly but I would have the same problems you described.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: 2008-12-06, 10:40:30 PM »
I would change the graphics for the game to get a more fitting size, but if
I did that, it would corrupt the other levels. (Like the warning that appears when
you press "update" on a graphic)

now that i think of it, your layers would be off too if you changed your tile sizes. but this is something i can live with

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tony~'The One, The Only' Hits the Internet 12/14/2008!
« Reply #84 on: 2008-12-13, 02:21:57 PM »
My game is released tommorow, and costs 5.00 (Due to the Holiday Discount). To register it costs $10.00 (Due to the Holiday Discount). But those who've at
least posted once on this topic BEFORE 12/14/2008 get a free Registration. When you buy the game, you are also free to edit it. Just not to get profit off of everything I worked for (Graphics, Level Design, and Media).  :)  ;)

Enjoy!

ps~in time for the holidays. :yes:  :pray:

Zorb Burger

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2008-12-13, 02:30:35 PM »
I'm not trying to downgrade you or anything, but don't you think that Benjamin Marty deserves some of the profit you make, if any?  After all, you are using his game engine.  Just a thought...

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: 2008-12-13, 02:57:10 PM »
so i get this straight...to buy it costs $5, but if you want the full version, it costs $10?

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: 2008-12-13, 06:31:57 PM »
lol Zorb Burger is back. Hello Zorb Burger!

I actually agree with Zorb for once, bluemonkmn has put more work in than you have if you think about it. :x

Then again in the license it states you can sell your game, as long as it was seperate from the engine. (I think that was how it worked, can't remember) And currently it is not seperate from the engine.

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: 2008-12-13, 11:13:03 PM »
As long as the work your selling is somehow distinct from the kit, you're OK.  If you make modifications to the engine/kit itself, you can't sell that or distribute it without also making the source available.  But if you want to sell/distribute a game that requires the kit in order to run it, you're free to distribute the (un-modified) engine (GDPlay) as part of your distribution.  Just try to make it clear that the game is yours and the engine is open source.  If you don't want people to copy your game, of course, you technically can't prevent them from copying the open source pieces, just your game files.

As for the money, I'm more interested in seeing everyone have easy and open access to the kit (and as many games as possible) than I am in a few $5-$10 payments for this or that.  The paperwork isn't worth the trouble to me.  If you start making thousands of dollars, I might be interested in taking a share if you're offering :), but otherwise, feel free to go for it on your own.  I'll just be happy to see people enjoying the program and the games.  The main thing I am concerned about is proper credit as much as possible: try to take credit for your own work and no more (don't say that I made the whole game if I didn't, and don't say that I had nothing to do with it if I did).

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: 2008-12-14, 04:37:20 PM »
so i get this straight...to buy it costs $5, but if you want the full version, it costs $10?

No, the full version is the same as the registered, the registering comes with a
warranty, also with some benefits.

lol Zorb Burger is back. Hello Zorb Burger!

I actually agree with Zorb for once, bluemonkmn has put more work in than you have if you think about it. :x

Then again in the license it states you can sell your game, as long as it was seperate from the engine. (I think that was how it worked, can't remember) And currently it is not seperate from the engine.

What he meant by this was for people who wanted to sell it to people without having them edit it. But
I did not mind people editing my game, so by putting the SGDK with my game, that also helps the SGDK community.

As long as the work your selling is somehow distinct from the kit, you're OK.  If you make modifications to the engine/kit itself, you can't sell that or distribute it without also making the source available.  But if you want to sell/distribute a game that requires the kit in order to run it, you're free to distribute the (un-modified) engine (GDPlay) as part of your distribution.  Just try to make it clear that the game is yours and the engine is open source.  If you don't want people to copy your game, of course, you technically can't prevent them from copying the open source pieces, just your game files.

As for the money, I'm more interested in seeing everyone have easy and open access to the kit (and as many games as possible) than I am in a few $5-$10 payments for this or that.  The paperwork isn't worth the trouble to me.  If you start making thousands of dollars, I might be interested in taking a share if you're offering :), but otherwise, feel free to go for it on your own.  I'll just be happy to see people enjoying the program and the games.  The main thing I am concerned about is proper credit as much as possible: try to take credit for your own work and no more (don't say that I made the whole game if I didn't, and don't say that I had nothing to do with it if I did).

I probally won't be making too much. But I hope I can donate something to the SGDK (1, 2, or possible releases) Development.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-14, 04:41:23 PM by TonyX »