Author Topic: Tony the Speeder  (Read 334530 times)

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tony the Speeder
« Reply #90 on: 2008-12-14, 04:46:04 PM »
I also hoped this game would get more people into developing, and perhaps have a world filled with people and developers who know the SGDK is a great engine for game devopment.  :)

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: 2008-12-14, 04:51:39 PM »
Don't worry about registering, everyone who posted here yesterday and before are covered.  ;)

PS~ I also wanted people to be able to edit it so they can get practice at developing, or help develop a better verion of the game.  ;D

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: 2008-12-14, 04:52:47 PM »
I also hope to do some free sample projects for the SGDK. I have a lot of ideas. 8)

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - marmalade0864@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: 2008-12-15, 06:08:13 PM »
if they can edit it, they can remove the demo restrictions and compile it to play the full version... Unless your planning on releasing a version where the full-version content doesn't exist?

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: 2008-12-17, 09:56:20 PM »
Not like that, the register version is just to buy a warranty with it.

PS~ What did you mean by:
... Unless your planning on releasing a version where the full-version content doesn't exist?

It sounds pretty good. Can you explain a bit more. Thanks.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
  • Looking for inspiration.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: 2008-12-17, 09:58:54 PM »
you actually got your game rated by someone? that's neat! where'd u find it?

what Jam0864 means is you only include the files needed for (for example) the first two levels and maybe limit the secrets, certain moves, ect. some major companies do this too.
Looking to the skies.....

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: 2008-12-17, 11:45:08 PM »
Actually I self rated it. I then copied the image of the rating on my box art cover.  :-[
You can find it at http://www.tigrs.org/. It is for free, so know one participates in the rating except you. Plus it does not save ratings in, how you would say, system. It is also better to have a rating, explaining what people are downloading or buying, that way a kid doesn't accidently download the wrong game!

I understand now. But that is not what I'm doing though. But not a bad idea.  :suspious:  ;D

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: 2008-12-18, 01:39:46 AM »
how can you buy a warranty for your game? You realize if someone downloads your game, buys this 'warranty' and their computer stuffs up shortly after, or they get an error message or ANY slight thing going wrong, you might legally be required to fulfill the warranty and buy them a new computer? That's why most computer software has disclaimers.

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: 2008-12-18, 08:11:00 AM »
there's an error on your demo. When you try to start playing, the starting map is not defined. plus on the 2-1 Level, when you press down, an error appears, "Missing SpriteDef Taunt" and your gravity is set to 0 (unless you wanted it that way)

otherwise, everything else runs very smoothly and i like the addition of other characters. with the Demo version you should also include some (not all if you want) the help files, like just the movement directions.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: 2008-12-20, 12:02:35 AM »
how can you buy a warranty for your game? You realize if someone downloads your game, buys this 'warranty' and their computer stuffs up shortly after, or they get an error message or ANY slight thing going wrong, you might legally be required to fulfill the warranty and buy them a new computer? That's why most computer software has disclaimers.

Thanks. I probally should just take off the warranty thing. People who register, have their game replaced if it has an error. And also other benefits. Thanks. I did not know a situation like that can happen.

there's an error on your demo. When you try to start playing, the starting map is not defined. plus on the 2-1 Level, when you press down, an error appears, "Missing SpriteDef Taunt" and your gravity is set to 0 (unless you wanted it that way)

otherwise, everything else runs very smoothly and i like the addition of other characters. with the Demo version you should also include some (not all if you want) the help files, like just the movement directions.

Thanks. You helped me find an error, with switching Taunt. But he is actually supposed to fly. So he gets to go around using a HeliPak. Did you know that when flying, you are using energy too. I think I should add a control help file. I originally didn't because I wanted people to experience the story when they bought the game. The help file holds the story. But I can use this now:
what Jam0864 means is you only include the files needed for (for example) the first two levels and maybe limit the secrets, certain moves, ect. some major companies do this too.

I should use this for the story.

Jam0864

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Jam0864's Content Dump
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: 2008-12-20, 07:37:28 AM »
You should try and test this as thoroughly as possible before trying to sell it. I hate it when developers sell me a game and I have to wait a month for a patch (or five) to fix major issues. A after release day patch should be a last resort, unless it's to add new features, then it's all good (everyone likes new stuff :D)

bluemonkmn

• SGDK Author
  • Administrator
  • Fanatic
    • ICQ Messenger - 2678251
    • MSN Messenger - BlueMonkMN@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://sgdk2.sf.net/
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: 2008-12-20, 08:30:24 AM »
I remember I bought Baldur's Gate about 8 years ago, and it was a great-looking game, but I returned it to the store because it kept freezing/dying.  I decided I didn't want to support irresponsible development any more (although I've found that Oblivion freezes occasionally too, and I haven't returned that.  Only once a month or so, though, not too bad.).
Hopefully now with the invention of managed code (.NET) this won't be as much of an issue any more.  Now if we could just get everybody using it.  I still experience problems at work when I have to use non-managed components from within a managed application.  The non-managed components still leak memory.

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: 2008-12-20, 02:01:07 PM »
You should try and test this as thoroughly as possible before trying to sell it. I hate it when developers sell me a game and I have to wait a month for a patch (or five) to fix major issues. A after release day patch should be a last resort, unless it's to add new features, then it's all good (everyone likes new stuff :D)

I probally will have most errors fix. I already started fixing some. Plus I hope to add patches that make the game more fun as well. :laugh:

I remember I bought Baldur's Gate about 8 years ago, and it was a great-looking game, but I returned it to the store because it kept freezing/dying.  I decided I didn't want to support irresponsible development any more (although I've found that Oblivion freezes occasionally too, and I haven't returned that.  Only once a month or so, though, not too bad.).
Hopefully now with the invention of managed code (.NET) this won't be as much of an issue any more.  Now if we could just get everybody using it.  I still experience problems at work when I have to use non-managed components from within a managed application.  The non-managed components still leak memory.

I plan to use SGDK2 as soon as I get a new computer. Mine runs slower than it did before I got the new internet. Plus making multiplayer games is more easier with the SGDK2.  ;D

SmartBoy16

• Contributor
  • Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: 2008-12-21, 09:06:38 PM »
i think if you add a patch, add a cheat code section where you can start with 1000 lives or have infinite health. that would be a nice thing to give someone who completed all 50 levels (hopefully without cheating). (now that i think of it, that would be a nice idea for RANAT! :) )

ya know, i think some game developers release their games to have people test them before they actually officially release it. this is usually called a Demo version or a beta version, as SGDK2.1 is in right now. what you're doing is not bad, just you released it a little too early.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-21, 09:18:55 PM by SmartBoy16 »

tprime

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: 2008-12-26, 06:45:03 PM »
i think i solved your hill problem. when you walk up a hill and stop you change into the standing sprite, which is taller and narrower than your running sprite. this causes you to get stuck inside the hill (see pics below)

this is also why you ocasionally get stuck in the ground. when you stand and then you run, your runing sprite digs into the ground causing you to be stuck. the same goes for most of your other sprites, especially your rolling sprites. try to make all of your sprites at a consistant size, such as 53x53.

and your oddly shaped tiles are taller than they are thinner.  i think when the game tries to make your slopes it ends up as a shape like this:

/|
        / |
       /  |
      /   |
     /    |
    /     |
   /      |
  /       |
 /        |
/         |
|         |
|______|

if you go fast enough, you don't notice this very much. but when you go from a solid to a slope (especially coming from the right)
you stop.

I managed to get this fixed. But I have to clean up the mess, that was created as well. But it will, be all worth it in the end. :)